1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Clean Up

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by willtodie, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. willtodie

willtodie Thread Starter

If i do one, will i have to reinstall the OS(xp) and what will the "backup" keep? (files) or will i just plainly loose everything, even though i do a backup?

thanks in advance

2. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

Well, what do you mean by a "cleanup?" If you mean running Disk Cleanup, getting rid of temp files, removing unneeded programs, and stuff like that, you won't lose anything or have to reinstall XP.

3. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi check.
    http://computercleanup.blogspot.com/
    List includes..
    Scan For Viruses
    Windows Disk Cleanup.
    Check Hard Drive for Errors.
    Defragment Your Hard Drive.
    Microsoft Update.
    Remove Spyware.
    Remove Unwanted Programs.
    Advanced Disk Cleanup.
    Cleanup Startup Programs.
    Registry Cleanup.
    [Cleaning the registry may cause you more problem than you started with..so it would be best to skip that one].

4. new tech guy

new tech guy

Good list Blues however, in that order of course reg cleanup should go but i also beleive that you should check for drive errors after doing everything that involves deleteing files. Also i would just defrag at the very last as if you do it earlier in the list when you work on the machine will just fragment again as you go along cleaning up. This way you defrag and then backup if you have a backup solution and you are done.

5. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi new tech guy good point.
    I left registry cleaner in the list as it's listed on their site.
    Hence the warning.
    But your order of events is correct I will amend the list. ;)

6. guitar

guitar Banned

just use ccleaner i've been using it for years with no problems:)

7. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

But don't use "Issues" in the left column- it is a Registry cleaner.

{redoak}

8. guitar

guitar Banned

never had a prob using issues either but each to their own choice

9. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

What follows below may be of interest. Regret that I can not credit the well informed TSG posters I am quoting.

{redoak}

Advice and Info re Registry 'cleaners'- excerpts from TSG, 10-07

The main reason they (are apt to cause problems) is because the cleaners do NOT just clean up stuff left over from uninstalls. They also "guess" that other items need to be deleted, many times incorrectly. They also attempt to "fix" references to files that no longer exist.

As a result, you can end up with programs that no longer work, functions that no longer work and in some cases a PC that will no longer boot.

There is no performance gains to be had by running these things. Windows does not read the entire registry when it is looking for something. It uses the keys which allow them to go straight to the item that they are looking for.

References:
    http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=643
    http://www.computerhope.com/registry.htm

If you really want to see how active the registry is in your normal running environment, download and run Regmon.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...on/Regmon.mspx

As you will see, the registry is constantly being accessed. If, for each of these, the entire file was being searched, your PC would be amazingly slow and not responsive.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645459

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice