1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Computer clicks off, won't restart

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by laremac, Jun 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. laremac

laremac Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 8027 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) 4 Series Internal Chipset, -306 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 211 GB (154 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0G261D
    Antivirus: None

I bought this Dell Optiplex on eBay as a refurb. It has worked well for almost a year. Lately it shuts down and won't restart until I move it a little or reposition it. It is made to either lie flat or stand upright. Moving it causes a fan or something to run inside, making a swooshing noise, and then it will boot up again. It might run for several days before kicking out again. I contacted the supplier, and he stated he did not know what could be wrong with it, but he would try to fix it if I sent it in. I'm hoping it might be a fix I could do here without troubling him with the problem. If anyone has had a similar situation and can offer a suggestion that would be very, very helpful. I have noticed too that just the tiniest movement of the case while it is running can cause a power loss, so I suspect there might be some kind of movement sensitive protection switch that has become a bit overzealous. But it also kicks off with absolutely no movement. I leave it running at night playing white noise which helps me sleep. For the past several mornings it had turned off in the night.

As always, my sincere appreciation for any comments or suggestions!

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm guessing you have a Dell OptiPlex 960 Small Form Factor desktop.

If you purchased it on eBay almost a year ago, it's most likely a used one and not a refurbished one.
    It has no warranty, so the seller is under no obligation to repair it, so I would not return it to him.

My first guess would be a problem with its power supply unit or its power cable, but it may be something else.

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. larryh10000

larryh10000

What things have you tried so far? Have you tried a different power cable or plugged into a different outlet, reseating the memory or checked for any obvious loose cables inside the case. Others on the forum are much smarter than I on this kind of thing so I'm pretty sure that they can give you some good ideas on how to trouble shoot this. Good luck!

4. laremac

laremac Thread Starter

Seller said it was a refurb with a year's warranty. I just don't want to go to the trouble of sending it back if it could be something simple I might be able to fix myself.

5. laremac

laremac Thread Starter

I moved the unit to a different room, different power strip, different power cord. It has not malfunctioned since. Hope the problem is resolved.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211771

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice