1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Clock

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Fritz911, May 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fritz911

Fritz911 Thread Starter

Hi guys.
    I have already searched the forum but cannot find an answer to my particular problem.
    My clock has gone bonkers over the past couple of weeks. Sometimes it reverts years into the past, and even the future!
    Whichever way it goes, I have to re-set it every time I turn on the machine.
    I suspected the CMOS battery because the machine is a few years old so I replaced it.
    Next time I fired it up i reset the time,date etc thinking it would be ok.

No such luck. Its still in,"Marty McFly", mode and I have to reset it every time I start it.
    Any help, "Idiot-proof", instruction much appreciated.

2. donetao

donetao Banned

3. Fritz911

Fritz911 Thread Starter

I,ve already gone through all the CMOS battery change procedure,(Not for the first time. I have quite a few machines), as normal.
    I reset this,(The one I am using right now), machines clock about an hour ago to the correct time and date.

It is now 22/05/15 20:42 in real life. My computer,this one, reckons its 16/02/2019 23:54HRS!!!

4. donetao

donetao Banned

Hi I'm not doubting your knowledge. The only other thing I know is synchronizing your clock?????

Attached Files:

5. Agye

Agye

check events logs if you are getting really bad errors about your clock and see what is causing it if not use a different time system to synchronise your clock!!

6. Fritz911

Fritz911 Thread Starter

Educate me please. click by click, idiot-proof instructions required. (I,ll probably receive them about 25 o,clock on the 34th of Septober). ;)

7. donetao

donetao Banned

8. Agye

Agye

I think all the instruction you need is in there!!! let us know if it works

9. Fritz911

Fritz911 Thread Starter

Thanks for your help. I,ll give it another go.

10. Fritz911

Fritz911 Thread Starter

Hello again guys. This is driving me bonkers.
    I,ve tried everything suggested. I,ve replaced the CMOS battery, (Again), stripped out main battery, removed and re-fitted hard drive. C.Cleaned everything, put everything back together again, reset the time in bios, and the clock is still in, "Marty McFly", mode. AAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhh.

Otherwise comp works fine.
    Just hate having to re-set clock every time I turn it on.
    Could maybe fathom it if it re-set itself to the date it was manufactured or something, but it is totally random. It goes from 2008-2024 and everything in between.
    I,ve even tried hibernating it instead of shutting down but it still ,"Time-hops".
    Wouldn,t mind if it gave me tomorrows news today, but it wont connect to any sites etc when the clock is out of kilter.

11. donetao

donetao Banned

Hi! Sounds like you have done every thing possible. My only thought left is the clock is defective. Not some thing you wanted to hear I'm sure. I have researched and I see nothing about how to replace the clock.
    One last thought. Reset the BIOS back to default and cross your fingers!!

12. Fritz911

Fritz911 Thread Starter

If I set the BIOS back to default, will I lose files or programmes?

13. donetao

donetao Banned

14. Fritz911

Fritz911 Thread Starter

Thanks for all the pointers guys.
    Think its fixed now. Switched off and on again a few times over the past few hours and it looks like ,"Marty McFly", has been exorcised.

15. donetao

donetao Banned

Hi Can you explain what you did to solve your problem??
    Thank you!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148663

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice