1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Comparison

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IBwebin, Feb 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IBwebin

IBwebin Thread Starter

Hi, Folks! I'm not sure this question is appropriate to this forum, but it's Hardware. I just purchased a new E Machines T2460 Computer. Specs. are: 2400+ AMD Athlon XP Processor....60 GB Hard Drive. Can someone tell me how this compares with, say, a Pentium 3 For processor speed?

THANX!!!!!

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Processor for processor, AMD is every bit as good as Intel.

Thunderbird/XP is equal in performance to Pentium/Pentium 4

Duron is, in my opinion, better than Celeron; and, I am not alone in this. Check with Tom's Hardware.

The overall performance of any machine is determined by more than the processor. Any time you buy a name-brand pre-built machine, you're getting a pig-in-a-poke for a main board, a hard disk, memory and other critical components.

Case in point: Just this week, a lady brought me her 1.2-Gigahertz HP machine with a bad hard disk. It will be a year old in April and is, therefore, less than a year old. HP would not send a replacement hard disk. They wanted to send a "reconditioned" entire computer. Having done this already less than a year ago, she refused, said "To Hell with HP" and told me to fix it. I removed the substandard Samsung, 5400-RPM hard disk with insufficient cache and installed a Western Digital, 7200-RPM drive with 2 Megs of cache.

Long story short, that customer has called me twice to thank me for her "upgraded, faster machine", (her words). She expressed to me she had no idea how much faster a computer could be just by changing hard disks and how glad she is that she didn't let HP put another second-rate hard disk in. She said the difference in performance is dramatic.

This is just one component, and others can be just as important in performance.

Now, the reason I go to so much trouble to explain this is that Intel has succeeded in convincing the American computer consumer that processor speed, measured in Megahertz, is the be-all and end-all in computer speed and performance. That simply isn't true. The processor is important; but, only one component among many and no more important in overall performance than the main board or hard disk--or even memory.

3. IBwebin

IBwebin Thread Starter

Thank You Alex! I know much more now. I think I'll take a peek inside this thing tomorrow, and check out the HD! When I go to get a new "toy", I'll look at faster hard drives..........and more memory.............

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117784

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice