Computer completely freezes in certain situations

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Wandering M

Hello, I am having problems with my computer where it will freeze and not respond to anything I do short of a hard restart.
Everything is frozen, my mouse won't move, no buttons work either. Everything just stops.
It happens in a variety of situations: -While playing video games
-While running AdAware or Ewido security scans
-While mixing down the music I write in nuendo

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Could be your powersupply ain't giving enough juice....
Try switching powercables between your system harddisk and the CD rom.
Also make sure the powerconnector is firmly seated to the hd.
(worked for me with similar problems)

Wandering M

Hi, here is what the scan said.

Results:
We have detected 3 spyware(s) on your computer. Only 0 out of 0 spywares are displayed.
Spyware Name Spyware Type
COOKIE_1619 Cookie
COOKIE_2281 Cookie
SPYW_BIGBRO.10 Spyware

I am using windows 2000
I don't think the problem is spyware though, since I removed a whole lot recently (I think the bigbro is just a leftover in my registry that I can't get rid of), and there are no other spyware symptoms.
Sounds like it could be the powersupply problem. I don't think it has anything to do with the CD drive either. It only happens in certain situations (high-memory using situations?), and just started a couple months ago. Before that I was able to do all the same things just fine. Does that rule out the powersupply theory?
Thanks again.

I'd suggest you go and download "linux puppy" iso here:
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/download/downpage.htm
Linux puppy is a complete operating system with suite of GUI apps, only about 60M and boots directly off the CDROM.
(it's a complete OS that runs from the CD)
Use this and let it run for a while,.
If the system doesn't hang, we can rule out hardware as a cause.
If it hangs= hardware failure somewhere

Wandering M

I will have that operating system run in the next couple days. Just making sure the thread doesn't die...

Wandering M

I haven't yet run the operating system dobbelina. The system only hangs when I try to run certain applications. So letting the other operating system run won't do any good, since all the applications are installed with the operating system I have now, will it? Any other comments or suggestions are appreciated.

we need to test if this is a hardware related problem or heat related before we move on to software the first step we need to take is to test the system on safe mode to get there press the F8 key 4x times before windows boot and you will get the menu from there pick safe mode with or with out networking now if the system run ok with all your

software there the problem is not hardware related
If the system freezes there you first need to check if the system is overheating you can check in the bios for the system temperature or download a program to test your system temperature report back and we can take it from there

I also recommend using this free software http://www.freshdevices.com/freshdiag.html
to benchmark your hardware devices this will give you an idea if they are working properly or not

Wandering M

I have tried running the problem programs in safe mode, but safe mode can't even open them (this is not the same problem as before). I guess this is because of safe mode's limited capabilities. I guess I will download the fresh devices tool now and run it, but am wary that they need my email. Are you sure this program doesn't have spyware or anything? Any tips on what the next steps should be are appreciated. Thanks.

do you still need help with this sorry but i did lost track of some thread because of yahoo mail

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online