Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Computer completely unresponsive, details inside

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  StupidButCunning 
#1 ·
So, recently when attempting to log on to my computer, I found that it prompted me for a log on password, which i had disabled the last time I had the computer running. A blank password did not work, and my old password did not work. Neither did any of my normal passwords for other services. After no luck, I decided to remove the CMOS battery for an hour to make it forget the passwords.

After reinstalling the CMOS battery, I attempted to boot the computer. Nothing appeared via my Monitor and the PC refused to stop trying to run the empty CD drive. I placed in a Windows installation CD to see if that would resolve my issue. It did not. (It may be worth noting here that my drive, despite having proper firmware and all up to date drivers, is not capable of reading 90% of CDs, nor burning CDs, but has no problems with reading or burning DVDs)

I then shut down the computer again, removed plugs and such as per usual to avoid ESD, flushed the power out and unplugged the CD Drive. Hooked everything up again and attempted to boot. With no hookup to the CD drive, the CD drive did not attempt to read, but the computer simply ran doing nothing. It did not attempt to read the floppy drive (It is a newer computer, I always install a FDD for repair purposes.) Nor did it attempt to read the HDD.

I shut it down again, checked all connections and can't seem to figure out what's wrong. No pieces appear burned out. Attempted boot again, same problem. Could not enter BIOS settings at any point of this. Shut it down again. Waited a few minutes, and attempted to boot again. The computer no longer responds in any way. As I said, no pieces appear burned out, so I can't seem to figure out why it would act like this. I am an IT professional, but do not have as much experience on the field as I probably could have. Therefore, if anyone has encountered a similar problem before, or has an idea on what could be wrong, I would appreciate the assistance. I posted this VIA my laptop so I'll check back regularly.

Many thanks,

Derek

See less See more
#3 ·
All connections are completely secure. And I made sure the battery was in correctly. After all, it still responded after putting the battery in, nothing regarding the battery was changed when it decided to simply not respond instead of powering on but not generating any output to the monitor. There was also no POST errors upon telling the computer to start when it was responding to the power button, but also not a single beep which would indicate it wasn't launching the boot process.

#4 ·
So, recently when attempting to log on to my computer, I found that it prompted me for a log on password...
Are you referring to a windows password? Removing the CMOS battery would have no effect on a windows password.

...removed plugs and such as per usual to avoid ESD...
Were you grounded or wearing a ESD bracelet? Some electronic components can be fried with a 10v discharge, meanwhile many people do not feel a shock from a "static electricity discharge" less than about 2,000-4,000V. So it's possible to fry something on the motherboard without even knowing it.

#6 ·
I agree with Hughv, reseat everything, not just cables, all hardware too....my post was a worstcase senario.

#7 ·
I was wearing an Anti-Static wrist strap. I just finished resetting everything and unplugging all connections to completely reassemble it. I even removed the RAM. I still get no POST or anything. Generally, that would tell me the PSU is what's gone (at least in my experience), but I don't see any reason why the PSU would simply randomly choose to stop working. Never had a problem with a Thermaltake before and this is relatively new. I had just replaced the Power Supply on this build in July. If I had the money, I'd just get a new PC since it's on the to-do list, but there is also that sense of pride asking why I can't figure out what went wrong when I took every precaution I could imagine.

#8 ·
do you by chance have another power supply that you could connect in to test the system? And power supplies can and sometimes do quit working with no warning.

#9 ·
Unfortunately, I'd already considered that. But I recently sold my side Desktop when I was strapped for cash. so, the only PSUs I have are old and far too low wattage to power anything in this build. I am waiting for my friend to return my multimeter so I can test power and see if any components are receiving power. In the event that nothing receives power, I'm going to call Thermaltake for a replacement since it comes with a 5 year warranty. Hopefully, that will correct the problem. If not, my current game plan is to just operate off my laptop until June or so when I can afford to build a new PC that is far superior to the build I'm trying to repair.

I appreciate all the suggestions here; it baffles me how something could have just gone wrong with all the precautions I take. I suppose sometimes, pieces just go. An expected consequence of mass manufacturing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.