1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Connection Problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by LinksMyHomeFry, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LinksMyHomeFry

LinksMyHomeFry Thread Starter

I am using Windows XP. I have been using a wireless internet connection to browse the web. Recently, my computer has decided that it doesn't want to use the connection. When I bring up my network list, I can see the connection but I am unable to use it. How can I fix this?

2. daz1

daz1 Banned

wireless connections delete old connection forces xp to start afresh with 1 default connection

3. LinksMyHomeFry

Wait what?

4. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

I think daz1 was suggesting going in to View Wireless Networks then in the left hand pane "Change the order of preferred networks" and highlight yours then click to remove it. Restart the computer and recreate the connection manually by Add a Network and remove any other you no longer need. Hopefuly that will do the trick of clearing up Windows confusion.

All of the above assumes you're using the Windows WZC system to connect. If you have a third party utility - Dell, Belkin, Netgear or whatever, switch to the WZC. M$ always likes to be in charge.

5. LinksMyHomeFry

Alright, thanks bro. Ill try it out. And excuse me for not being very savvy with computer terms. Windows WZC?

6. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

It stands for Wireless Zero Configuration and is a Windows Service. Go into XP's Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services and scroll down almost to the bottom to that Service and double click it. Check that the StartUp is Automatic and that the Service is started and that way, it will start up when the system does. Click on Apply and OK to save any changes you made.

Sadly, some wireless chips come with the software that can overarch that Service and take over and that's where Windows sometimes gets confused. Post back with the details of your chip and someone will tell you how to disable that software.

7. LinksMyHomeFry

Oh yeah. Confused with the acronym. That was one of the things I looked at first. It is enabled in case you were wondering.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972102