1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Constantly Beeps

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by peetah2, May 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. peetah2

peetah2 Thread Starter

My computer started beeping from the tower about 2 weeks ago and has only gotten worse... I wasn't sure why it was beeping at me so I ignored it.. Well, it has gotten to the point where the beeping is affecting my computer performance... It it much slower, freezes for short periods of time, lags my mouse, restarts videos in media player, brings web pages back to the top of the page, ect... I started reading about it and learned that it could be that my computer is overheating, my RAM/Memory has errors, or something to do with BIOS... Can anyone help?? I am trying to avoid replacing anything, but thats the only solution, then I will deal... Thanks!

2. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

I believe you may have a faulty keyboard or mouse. Easiest to try first is the mouse. Unplug it and restart. If not check over your keyboard for any keys locked down. Unplug the keyboard and see if it stops.

3. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

There are computer beep codes and they mean something and they are really difficult to diagnose from any computer but yours.
    Try this web site maybe on another computer and see if this helps, it will tell you what the beeps are for and possible causes and maybe fixes.

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

4. Flapperkewiet

Flapperkewiet

Is it only beeping during launch ? Or is it also beeping while you are working with the PC ?
    Flapperke

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

That is mostly ram...hjave you added any recently or done anything inside case where you might have bumped the ram sticks....also dirt and crap inside could affect it!

6. peetah2

peetah2 Thread Starter

Ok, I will try it and get back to you.

It does the one beep when I start it... And then it beeps while I am using the computer.

No, I haven't do anything with the RAM... But I did open my computer last night and saw that it was a little dusty... I opened it to check if the fans were working and they were... But I also noticed that it was very warm inside.

And if they helps, here is my computer information:
    Sony PCV-RZ22G
    Intel Pentium 4 @ 2400 MHz
    512 RAM
    BIOS - Award Software, Inc

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

Please remember if you go to clean out do not put vacuum cleaner hose in there...use "can of air" to blow out.

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

That sort of beeping is usually a motherboard alarm telling you it is too hot, the power supply voltages are not what they should be, or the fan is not running at normal speeds.

You can also try having a look with a utility like SpeedFan:

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

9. peetah2

peetah2 Thread Starter

I believe my problem is fixed... I changed out the mouse and it seems to be working fine now... Thanks for everyone's input... But I do plan on cleaning my computer out.. It is very dusty and dirty inside!! Thanks again!

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Mice don't beep :D

11. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

They do now. Interesting fix, who woulda thought.

12. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

Well done Peetah2. I thought that was the most likely criminal.

13. peetah2

peetah2 Thread Starter

Yea, I really did think this would be the fix, but it was!! Thank goodness though... That beep was really annoying!

14. Celancelot

Celancelot

actually mice don't beep..the m/b itself...lol! coz maybe he inserted in wrong port.. lol!

-Celancelot

15. peetah2

peetah2 Thread Starter

whats the m/b??? I dont know, but everything is fine now.. I did think something was wrong with the port, but who knows!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/469464