1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer constantly crashing/freezing HELP!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dellcomp, Oct 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dellcomp

dellcomp Thread Starter

ok so, i have no idea on how this happened. one day, i was playing a computer game (warcraft III if you must know, i'm sort of a dork in this way XD) and decided to minimize the game in order to open up windows media player to listen to some music. well, the minimizing took forever and eventually it froze. frustrated i turned the computer off. now, everytime i turn on my computer it will be stuck at the windows xp loading screen for around three minutes before going to the login screen. if i don't log in immediatly, it freezes. when i do log in a window will pop up saying i have recovered from a serious error. then, when i try to open ANY application, program, file etc., it freezes. the only way i am able to get online is in safe mode with networking, which is limited with no sound. i know this is not a virus because i have the program Deep Freeze 5 on my computer which is supposed to keep the computer at stock settings everytime i start up. i have tried using the system restore that XP provides but that has not worked. i do not want to have to re-install windows because the microsoft office i have is out of downloads and i do not have another. i currently have a Dell Inspiron 6000 and i belive i have windows XP 2001. please give me any advice possible, i really can't afford to get a new computer. I will get any other info requiered to help solve this problem.
    Thank you for your help

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi dellcomp, and welcome to TSG.

The tips and tricks forum is for sharing computer tips and tricks you know of and not for asking for tips or tricks to solve a problem. You can use the "Report " link in your post to request a move of this thread to the hardware or Windows XP forum.

Does your hard drive have S.M.A.R.T. monitoring and does your BIOS support it and have it enabled? This would give you a warning if your hard drive was starting to go bad and could be causing the freeze ups.

You can use a program like a bootable version of Memtest86 burned on CD to see if you have memory problems. This will let you know if a memory stick is going bad.

You should also do a close visual inspection of the motherboard for any bulging or leaking electrolytic capacitors. The motherboard manufacturers had a massive problem with badly made capacitors a few years ago that would eventually fail.

3. dellcomp

dellcomp Thread Starter

thank you for the tips, i do not have S.M.A.R.T on my computer and i would need to know more about the bootable program so that i know what it is and how to use it. the motherboard inspection i will definately do, although i hope that isn't the case because if so i will have to get a new comp :(. anyway, thanks for the advice i will let you know what i find out.

p.s- i have reported and asked that this thread be moved

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Find out the manufacturer of the hard drive and see if they offer any diagnostic software to make a bootable CD to test the drive.

5. dellcomp

dellcomp Thread Starter

Ok, sorry i haven't replied in awhile, been busy. I finally got fed up and reinstalled windows XP on my comp. everything seems to be working and i am able to use my computer normally. it recently updated to XP SP3, since i reinstalled SP2. everything is working except for my drivers, i do not seem to have them for audio and video. The game that i would normally play (warcraft) will not start because of video drivers and niether will other games, basic flash games and adobe things work though. As for audio, well, there is none. only audio i get is a beep when something is wrong or messes up. I have a driver CD but it asks for my computer's Latitude model, which i don't know how to find. i also have an application CD but have not attempted to use. if you could help me on how to find and install the correct drivers, that would be great.

Much appreciated

6. dellcomp

dellcomp Thread Starter

P.S- for audio, it does not even register that i have a device on my compter

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/956279

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice