1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer constantly freezes at Windows Login

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by amarubay, Feb 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. amarubay

amarubay Thread Starter

I recently moved to a new location and set up my computer.

Somewhere between BOOT and Windows XP starting up, my computer suddenly freezes. Sometimes it's delayed long enough for me to log into XP, only to crash a few seconds later. I assumed that maybe I attached something incorrectly, and checked the wires. They are fine.

Before my move, the computer never gave such problems. It's difficult for me to figure out exactly what to do or how to fix it when I can only use the computer properly for about a minute or so.

For a while, I tried going into Safe Mode or using a System Restore to move the computer back to a point where this issue did not occur. That worked for a time, and now it does not. The only way for me to use my computer now is to log into Safe mode with networking, and when I'm done, set the PC to stand by.

Another issue there - my computer refuses to stand by.

It would show off only to start right back up again on its own, and once the Welcome screen is displayed, either I can't type anything or the computer freezes.

I'm not sure why this is happening. Is there any solution to this? :confused:

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

You may need to check inside your Pc - to check all connections.

Turn the computer off and disconnect it from the power
    Take off the side of the case and touch the bare metal chassis to discharge static.
    Remove Ram..Video cards from their slots

Plug in the RAM [one stick at a time].
    Also try different slots.
    Ensure it is seated correctly.
    Reseat Video card.

Check Hard drive and Motherboard connections [IDE]
    Take them off and reseat them.

Inspect the case for dust etc.
    Remove the dust..do not use a vacuum cleaner

Check that the processor fan rotate.

Turn on and listen for a beep.

A properly working computer should beep once while booting, and the lights on the keyboard should flash while booting.

-------------------------------------------------
    Do you have the original install Cd?
    Boot from Xp Cd...when prompted press [R]
    Choose Windows installation [typically by pressing [1]
    When prompted for password.
    Press Enter.
    Type chkdsk /r [note space ]
    Window will fix errors..
    Type Exit
    And press Enter.

3. amarubay

amarubay Thread Starter

Well I removed and reinserted all the components, and my computer still has the same problem. My computer doesn't beep because I unplugged the wire that makes that noise (on purpose mind you, the beep started to get weird). I should have the original XP CD but I can't locate it. Am still searching for things as I unpack...

Are there any other options I can try? Because this is getting annoying. My computer just freezes after it boots up, but once I find a way around that issue - the computer runs just like it did before. For days in fact.

4. amarubay

amarubay Thread Starter

And concerning the second solution, I changed it so the computer booted from my XP CD...and it froze as well.

5. blues_harp28

What do you mean 'the beep started to get weird?'

Too many beeps at startup?
    Beeping, during using your Pc?

Beeping too many times at startup - can mean a memory [Ram] problem - Motherboard problem etc.
    Let us know why you made the change - and did this problem start, after you made the change?

6. amarubay

amarubay Thread Starter

The beeping was normally two - one when the computer started and another before Windows started loading. After a while though, there would be only one beep or no beeps, but the computer still worked fine. Sometimes the beeps sounded rattled as though something was shaking the computer as it made the sound. Hearing that with no indication as to why the noise had changed made me want to stop it and I learned I could when I changed motherboards. I unplugged the wire after I had to install a new motherboard, attach all the appropriate wiring, etc; that was over a year or so ago I think. I did contact the manufacturer of the MB beforehand to ask if something could be wrong if the beeps were like that and they assured me that it was fine.

The computer has not given me any problems like this until a few days before I posted this thread. The only other time it did freeze up similar to this is whenever I tried to install Windows updates. The computer would start to download them, freeze, and stay that way unless I was there to shut it off or restart it and shut it down properly.

7. blues_harp28

I'd re-attached the wire - and when you boot up, you may get an idea what is causing it.
    If you have more than one Ram stick - use each one in turn and try and start your Pc.

Some beep codes here - not sure if your motherboard is included - google will find which ones.
    http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

8. amarubay

amarubay Thread Starter

Well, I finally got chkdsk to run without freezing. A friend also turned me to a diagnostic tool for checking Western Digital drives. The hardware itself is in good shape, so I'm convinced now that the problems software related, not hardware related. Chkdsk found errors, which were supposedly corrected.

However, the computer still froze. It just took longer to happen this time... instead of freezing a few seconds into logging in, it froze up about 6 minutes later.

9. blues_harp28

10. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Open the Task Manager (CTRL+ALT+Delete) right before the computer freezes. How high is CPU usage?

11. amarubay

amarubay Thread Starter

A friend of mine did help me check the start up programs (all non-Microsoft ones) on my computer, and actually turn them off. Now my computer logs in and runs fine. I just need to turn each service back one at a time to see what is causing the freeze up at startup.

12. blues_harp28

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!