1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer constantly freezes.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Tractatus, Dec 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tractatus

Tractatus Thread Starter

My gf has been having this problem for a few years with her computer (pretty much since she first got it) and I'm wondering if there's any particular reason why this might be happening. She has a IBM Thinkpad with Windows XP if that helps.

2. Sponsor

3. steveie85

steveie85

What programs are running when it freezes? Does it do it at a ceartin time? Does an error message pop up? Have you tried running malware scans and anti-virus scans? What were there results?

4. Tractatus

Tractatus Thread Starter

She's usually running Firefox, Itunes and Trillian but she says it varies regardless of what she has open most of the time and it doesn't seem to happen at any particular time. No error message or anything, the screen just freezes and audio skips and then she hard crashes it and restarts. She's run CCleaner but it didn't find much.

Sry to be so vague in my initial post. Hopefully this helps.

5. steveie85

steveie85

It does help. I would recommend running a program called SuperAntiSpyware. You can download it from www.superantispyware.com and then run it, do a full scan. It is a very good program and very detailed as well.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

I would also run www.bitdefender.com as well onlinbe scan ina ddition to Superantispyware and tel lus what the 2 programs found?
    Was any memory added to this pc at any time?

7. Tractatus

Tractatus Thread Starter

8. Tractatus

Tractatus Thread Starter

And um I do not believe any memory was added.

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

10. steveie85

steveie85

I agree Rich that is pretty clean. Mine was worse then that. By the way I love Superantispyware now. Its my new fave!!

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yeah it's an awesome program and the more you look under the hood, the more you find inside!

12. steveie85

steveie85

I know got lots of neat stuff.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/660644