1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer constantly freezes

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BryanMc97, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BryanMc97

BryanMc97 Thread Starter

My computer has been constantly freezing the past couple of days. It is a Dell Dimension 2400 with Windows XP Home and 2 GB of RAM. It started freezing shortly after I would reboot. Both the keyboard and mouse wouldn't respond.It had been a while since I reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled Windows, so I decided to try that. The weird part is, the computer actually freezes up during the reinstall process. It gets to 33 minutes of the reinstall of Windows XP and then asks me to set the Regional Settings. When I try to move the mouse to click Next, the mouse doesn't move. If I try to just press Enter to click Next, nothing happens. Not sure what could be causing this. It appears the fan is working fine, so I don't think it's overheating. Thanks for any help.

2. Sponsor

3. lawson_jl

lawson_jl

You should open this PC up and blow all the dust out of it and make sure ALL fans are running properly. This is a good time to check and make sure that all cables and cards are plugged in securely. It certainly seems as if you have a heat issue but it could just as well be a bad piece of hardware.

4. BryanMc97

BryanMc97 Thread Starter

I will definitely clean it of all dust. Thanks for that. I too thought it is probably a hardware issue since at least the computer would start up initially (I did get a random HARDWARE_IRQL_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL once, but I don't know if that's part of the issue or not). If that doesn't work, anything else you think that it might be? I've heard of computers freezing before, but I've never heard of them freezing during a reinstallation of Windows as well.

Note: I downloaded a diagnostic program from Western Digital (my hard drive type) and tried that. It said my hard drive was fine using both quick and full scans. I also tried writing zeroes to the hard drive, but to no avail. Don't know if any of this helps.

5. lawson_jl

lawson_jl

The error you listed means that you have a a bad driver on the system. It can also be a sign of bad hardware.

6. BryanMc97

BryanMc97 Thread Starter

I've been using this computer for over a year now without incident, so I don't know what hardware could be bad with it. Is there a way I can find out?

I tried dusting the computer, but it still would not install Windows. I wonder if that hardware error is so bad, that it won't even let me put Windows back on the computer. Is this possible?

7. lawson_jl

lawson_jl

No there is no such thing as a software error so bad you can't reinstall Windows on it. This is how I know you have a hardware issue. That or bad media (your Windows install disc) would be the only two reasons Windows would not reinstall on the PC.

If you have spare parts laying around you can try swaping out parts starting with the DVD drive and HDD. But it really could be anything. If you don't have spare parts around, which most people don't, you can check that cables are tight, cards are inserted properly and your heat sinks are well mounted.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/907839