1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer constantly freezing! Need Help!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jonworld, Dec 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jonworld

jonworld Thread Starter

For a few weeks, my computer has been freezing a lot. I reinstalled drivers updated windows and software, tried everything, but is won't stop. No information related to the freezing is left in the event viewer, so I think it is a hardware problem.. My computer is less than 2 years old so a worn out hard drive is pretty much out of the question. The freezing usually, but not always occurs when the computer is working hard (serveral apps open at once, video editing, etc) and seems to occur more often when the computer has been on for a long time. The freezes usually happen every few minutes and it is driving me CRAZY! I want to pick up my computer and throw it at a brick wall because I can't get anything done! HELP! PLEASE! What is going on?! I think it could be a processor problem but I'm not good with hardware so I need help urgently! Thanks!

2. zabusant

zabusant

Sounds exactly what I was going through 6 months ago - it turned out to be a dying hard drive (and BTW it was less than a year old - and I take good care of my stuff:))

Run check disk.

3. hgibbs8129

hgibbs8129

i do abit of video editing. but ive alot of ram and a very fast processor. most video editing programs will take All system processing power. some programs you can limit the amount they use. like a download or bandwith limit.

4. zabusant

zabusant

Oh, BTW, do you mean freezing as in programs crash, or like it just stops and starts. Is your mouse pointer frozen as well?

5. devil_himself

devil_himself

Click Start, click Run, type eventvwr.msc in the Open box, and then press Enter.
    Click the Application category.

Look For Recent Errors > Double Click on them > Another Windows Will open > On the Right Side use the Double Notepad icon to copy the error paste them here

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Right 2 years really does not mean the drive is safe and it does sound like a dying hard drive. the other possibilities could be overheating video card (but you have onboard video so that isn't likely), or corrupted ram.
    You could download and run memtest86 but bear in mind you need to run 4 complete tests which takes about 3-4 hours.www.memtest86.com

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/661169

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice