1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer constantly freezing up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cowgirlup914, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cowgirlup914

cowgirlup914 Thread Starter

I have a Dell Inspirion Laptop that has begun freezing up. I spoke with someone that builds computers and he told me to run msconfig, which I did. I wasn't sure what to do once I got to that screen so I didn't change anything. Now, I can't get online and not much of anything will open.
    Should I just re-install XP or use this laptop for a boat anchor?:mad:

2. Tabvla

Tabvla

Hi Cowgirl, don't use it as an anchor - it will probably sink your boat :D

I need to know a little more about the sequence of when it "freezes up". Does this happen....

a) Shortly after startup ?
    b) When some specific program is running ? For example your AntiVirus is updating or scanning
    c) After you have used it for an hour or more ?
    d) On a hot day, on a cold day ?
    e) When you are online or perhaps when you are offline ?

T.

3. cowgirlup914

There isn't any certain it freezes up. I went to safe mode and ran a virus program, found 1 infected file and it was malware so I fixed that problem.
    I tried to use IE and I ran a diagnostic test, I got one error code Network Adapter ID error 0x80070422.
    Also various other errors:
    FTP (passive) error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com
    HTTP error 12007,

4. cowgirlup914

Also, when I go to control panel, add/remove programs have changed. It only shows add programs.

5. Tabvla

Tabvla

When you go to Control Panel are you logged in as the Administrator ?

T.

6. cowgirlup914

Yes I am, everything else shows up except 'remove programs'.
    I ran cmd today and apparently there isn't a network adapter showing up. Would it work if I plugged it in directly to the modem?

7. Tabvla

Tabvla

To enable you to get onto either a local network or the Internet you need one of the following :-

For a PC.....

A) A NIC (Network Interface Card) to be installed in the PC and an Ethernet cable from the PC to the Router (Modem)
    or
    B) A wireless card which will then communicate with the Router - assuming the Router has WiFi capabilities, which it should have.

For a Laptop.....

Laptops typically will be supplied with a NIC that is both Ethernet and WiFi capable.

The problem is starting to sound like a partially corrupt System 32 folder. I am reluctant to tell you how to fix a corrupt System 32 because I am uncertain about your level of experience in working with Windows system files. The problem is that if you do something wrong you could end up with an unbootable computer.

How confident are you to work on Windows system changes which could involve both System Files and the Registry..?

T.

8. cowgirlup914

Not very confident about working with those. I'm not a computer novice but have never worked with the registry or the system files.

9. Tabvla

Tabvla

The file appwiz.cpl controls access to the Add / Remove Programs utility in XP. If this file is corrupted then you will not have any or sometimes only partial functionality of the Add / Remove Programs utility.

The problem is not so much in the steps needed to replace this file but rather where will you find a reliable version of this file. You could try the internet, but if you download a file from an unknown source you could be downloading anything - a virus or other malware. For example, you could have downloaded this file from megaupload.com, but that site has subsequently been impounded by the FBI in the USA for a whole list of criminal activities...... so you must be careful.

If someone on this Forum can tell you where you can obtain a legal, clean, authenticated appwiz.cpl file then I will take you through the steps to replace the existing one.

However................ !!! I think that you may have more issues than just this one. But we need to start somewhere...:)

T.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087669

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice