1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Constantly Freezing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scoobydugan, Jul 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scoobydugan

scoobydugan Thread Starter

Ok, First my system stats...
    Compaq Presario 722US Notebook
    1.1Ghz
    256 Mb Ram(upgraded to 384 bc of freezing, no luck)
    Xp Home Sp1 Fully updated

Ok, no matter what im doing my laptop freezes constantly.
    I contacted compaq, download softpaqs and flashed BIOS.
    No luck, so i formatted and restored. Still freezes. No new software or hardware installed, doesn't seem to be overheating, fans are working. No idea whats going on. Can someone help me?

2. zeddy

zeddy

How much space have you got on the HD, you need to have less than 80% used to get winXP to page file properly.

3. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Anyway of removing the older ram and trying it with just the new ram? The old ram may be defective. Also, have you taken any un-needed stuff out the startup and run a spyware search.

4. scoobydugan

i re-formatted my computer...Same problem.
    128MB out of the 256 stock is on-board. i replaced the remaining 128 with a brand new 256 stick. same problem, i ran the memory tester all tests passed.

5. scoobydugan

bump, cmon guys i really need help

6. jscerb

jscerb

Are you sure its not overheating??? Is it possible to run the notebook with the case open???

7. scoobydugan

i tried to open the case a little while ago, but i couldnt get it open, even with the correct star bit, so for now i have a house fan blowing on where the cpu is...bc i think the fan stopped or something...any idea how i can check cpu temp? or fix the fan

8. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

If the fan is stopped, I think it's time to find a shop that can replace it.

9. scoobydugan

ok update, fans r running, not overheating, no idea wth is going on

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I am not too familiar with compaq / hp computers. Have you tried to enter the bios and see what temp the cpu is running? Most laptops use a fan controller of one type or another; this is used to control temps. If the bios shows a high temp you have found the problem to be overheating.

Does the computer freeze when you start it in safe mode? If it still freezes in safe mode, that points at a hardware problem. If it does not freeze in safe mode, it points at a software / driver problem.

11. jscerb

jscerb

The bios usually gives a missrepresentation on temps since the cpu has only been running for 15 seconds. I would download motherboard monitor. It runs in windows and is an excellent program. Do a google search for it.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The bios temp is accurate if you let it run for a while. When I build a system, the first thing I do is boot into the bios and let it run until temp has stabilized. This is done to check cooling. During this time you are setting system clock, configuring first boot device, etc. The bios temp will display the same temp as monitoring software [since it uses the same sensor]

13. scoobydugan

the bios is very very crappy...no monitoring available, no video card available...just the bare necessities....on boot password...etc....can anyone point me toward one of the MB monitors?

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I believe he has a link to MBM5 on his site if you want to try that one also.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/149165

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice