1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Constantly Re-Boots & De-crypting Issues

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by MattHatt, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MattHatt

MattHatt Thread Starter

Hello,

I have recently encountered a problem with my computer... It is a Dell Aspire, running Windows 7 and it is also encrypted with TrueCrypt.

When I try to boot it (normal mode), a blue error screen shows up and it automatically reboots, this is the same in Safe Mode and other modes, though System Repair is partially accessible.

I encountered this problem when trying to start my computer, I went to System Repair and set the system back to an earlier system image (from 1 day ago). Then, when I tried to boot it in normal mode, I first encountered the blue error screen (showed up for 1 second and then automatically rebooted).

Since then I tried various methods, though I do not get any blue error screen, the system automatically reboots when I try to start it (in any mode). I also tried decrypting the system with the TrueCrypt Rescue Disk, which works, but after a time (about 1/3 into the process), my monitor it seems goes to sleep (yellow light) and it would not let me press any buttons to make it start again (not even turning power of the monitor off, etc).

I can't find any solution to this (not even on the TrueCrypt site), it just constantly reboots (even when I tried disabling the automatic reboot function in the boot menu).

OVERALL:

I cannot start Windows (in any booting mode)
    When trying to start Windows it automatically reboots
    Disabling the automatic reboot function is not working
    Trying to decrypt the harddrive is possible, though after a certain time the screen freezes

I would appreciate any advice, thank you very much!

Matt

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

How is it encrypted? Is the entire drive encrypted? If so, it cannot be repaired until decrypted.

3. MattHatt

MattHatt Thread Starter

Yes, the entire drive... in addition the OS is hidden.

I am able to decrypt it, though after a while the PC seems to automatically go into sleep mode or something (light on monitor goes from green to yellow) and I cannot press any buttons. Is there any way to prevent this from happening or do I really have to regurarly press buttons to prevent it from doing so (for 800000 MB of data)...?

Thanks!

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

As you probably know, none of the normal methods of working on the system will work when the target is encrypted. If the file system is damaged, decrypting in itself may destroy everything beyond recovery.

You could check BIOS settings for sleep and power-saving modes to see if they can be turned off for this process.

5. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Does it actually "stay awake" if you keep renewing an input signal or haven't you tried that yet? I'm also wondering how long the rescue disc is taking and also that if its running on the rescue disc, the video should not be dying.

It doesn't sound good, do you have a system image and copies of your data elsewhere in case??

6. MattHatt

MattHatt Thread Starter

Yes, I believe that if I keep moving the mouse a few times in regular intervals it does reset the time it takes to go to "sleep". It takes approx. 5 hours, I will probably try it when I got the time, until then I cannot do much.

I do not have any system images or backups on any external devices... (n)

7. MattHatt

MattHatt Thread Starter

I tried, though I did not understand what most of the settings do, however I can say that a setting which "re-freshes" the amount of time it takes for the monitor to turn off by pressing keys regurarly, meaning that I could manually tap a few keys every few minutes or so.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975418

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice