1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Courses/ Careers

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Fastlane247, Apr 12, 2004.

Advertisement
  1. Fastlane247

Fastlane247 It's My Birthday! Thread Starter

Hey all i was thinking of taking some schooling soon, something to do with computers but dont really know what part of the computer industry makes money any more or is successful. Anyone have any ideas on this that would be awsome. Thanks

2. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

These days, do not go into computers/IT for the money...you will be sorely disappointed! Go into something that you like to do...life to too short to be spending 8 or more hours a day doing something you don't like simply for the money.

If you do, in fact, love to work with computers, then ask yourself in which area you find yourself most enthusiastic - and work with it.

Just my two cents!

MBN

3. jonathan731

jonathan731

Yea i've been wondering....what computer indutry can i earn the most money in?

4. Fastlane247

it has nothing to do with the money computers is what i like to do.... there is nothing eles i can think of that i would like to spend my day doing... except maybee cars but not really

5. Horowitz

Horowitz

Come on Darren we can't possibly make any more money than we do here! =-P
    Just kidding, it is a good question, wish I knew the answer!

6. Gibble

Gibble

Never do a job for the money.

You'll be dissapointed when the market shifts and you aren't making the bucks anymore.

Find a job you love doing and it won't matter. Also, if you truly love what you do, you'll make more money because you won't mind working harder, taking more training, becoming better at your job and advancing faster than if you are in a job you hate.

7. Fastlane247

that is a awsome point... that is why i want to get into computers because that is what i love to do ... (y) :D

8. jonathan731

jonathan731

I love to do any work with computers but i also want to earn a good pay so I would like to get into a career with computers but one that will allow me to live a good live.

9. Gibble

Gibble

Well...you may want to take a few english courses too...

10. SexyTech

SexyTech

I've bee in the PC Support business for several years. I've worked for Hitachi, Micron, Compaq, & Gateway. I'm far from rich, but I enjoy the phone support aspect when dealing with people and fixing problems. I'd much rather be working "Desktop support" for an IT department, but until I complete my Bachellor's Degree, it's really hard to get where I realy want to be...which is working with all the cool network stuff!

But I'm happy where I'm at now(for now) working phone support for a software company. I get to use my OS, PC, & networking skills!

11. Fastlane247

if you are good you can get both but the biggest problem is everyone has all the certs now and everyone knows how to do all the comptuer stuff now... well not everyone but you know what i mean, basicaly there are too many people trying for the same industry

12. Gibble

Gibble

And yet guidance counsellers are still telling kids to go into computers because that's where the jobs are. :mad:

Damnit, the industry is saturated!

13. SexyTech

SexyTech

The only thing that MOST Certs mean (A+, MCP, MCSE, etc) is that you can pass a test!

I have no certs and can run circles around most "Paper" MCSE's!

The Degree and actual experience is what alot of companies are looking at nowadays!

14. Fastlane247

very good point... and i have to agree half the people who work here have all the certs and i have none and i am better at computers then any of them

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!