1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Crash

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Shanaye'sMum, Jan 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Shanaye'sMum

Shanaye'sMum Thread Starter

Hi & thanks for having me here. A friend told me about this site & i'm grateful.

I'll start by saying i'm a bit pc stoopid :eek:

I have windows 98. I'm not really sure what's happened. It told me my c drive was full & did i want to do a clean out. I clicked cancel but it took it upon itself & deleted some files.
    I have re installed win98 quite a few times but its not putting in the missing components.
    I can't connect to the internet. As soon as i boot up a message saying DLL is missing & another pop up saying some components are missing & need to be installed, i'm not sure how to find out what these components are.
    A message keeps popping up saying something like an illegal something has happened & needs to shut down. I click on ok but my pc doesn't shut down. This pop up comes up all the time.
    I'm worried I have lost some of my files.
    I'm doing defrag at the moment & have been for the last 6 to 7 hours & its still at 0%. I'm not sure if its meant to take this long. Should i stop it or keep it going?
    Would restoring my pc to a previous date fix the problems? if so how do i do this?

I'm sorry if i haven't given enough info but as i said i don't really know much about computers & i'm learning....slowly. I'm good at following instructions though...:eek:
    Let me know what you need to know & i'll do my best. Makes things harder that my pc isn't functioning properly & freezes. :confused:

It's a Dell Dimension XPS B800 & i'm sure it would be over 5 years old.

Thank you.

2. Rache

Rache Banned

I assume you've reinstalled 98 over itself and kept data. This isn't a complete reinstall though. If data isn't important you need to format then reinstall. I would even suggest that fdisk would be better as that process clears anything which may cause errors, then do a clean install http://fdisk.radified.com/

ps; it would be better if you are going to fdisk to create 2 partitions. That way it's easier to save data if 98 goes again.

3. Shanaye'sMum

I'm trying to restore/ reformat my pc to a few days ago. My c drive was full & some files were deleted so now i can't get onto the internet, well do anything really.

I just tried to restore by scanreg /restore but this failed. I also tried scanreg/fix scanreg/autorun. Didn't help.

I tried to re install windows 98 but it wont install the components that are missing.

I don't know much about computers so im not sure what info im meant to be putting here. :eek:

When i start my pc is won't restart straight away. It tells me i have files missing & to press a key to continue. Then 4 pop ups come on to tell me i have components missing including my zone alarm security program.

What i'm mainly looking for is something to restore my pc til about 3 or 4 days ago, before the files & components were deleted.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

4. 1069

Hi and welcome to TSG :)

I would have suggested a scanreg /restore - but you say you have tried this. Was it successful and did you restore to a previous date?

When you say that you tried to reinstall windows - did you try an "over the top" installation ( no formatting HDD and no data loss ) ?

Can you eventually boot up the system?

If the answer to all of the above is yes try a System File Check.

Click on Start > Run type in ....sfc ....click OK. Make sure "Scan for Altered Files " is checked. You may need you original installation cd.

5. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Hi and Welcome to TSG!!

I have merged your two threads here. As you are receiving assistance it's better to have everything in one post so everyone knows what is being suggested.

Please make your replies here.

6. 1069

You say in your first post that you are doing a defrag and it is still at 0% - defrag is best done in Safe Mode with your screen saver off.

Defrag will not solve this problem however.

7. Elf-stone

Elf-stone

Scanreg /restore is a great tool, but never pick the oldest date, and every time you reboot you loose more chances to restore to a point before your problems started.

8. Shanaye'sMum

Thanks for your replies.

1069 - The scanreg /restore failed. I picked that latest date & have since read that you shouldn't do that :-( After it failed I then went & picked the next oldest date, it failed too so then i had no more dates to choose prior to the problems. Problems occured 25th January.

Yes windows was an over the top installment.
    Yes i can boot up the system.
    I haven't yet tried the System file check.

I'll give a description of what happens when i start up pc:-
    -Black screen comes up saying Cant find device file needed to run windows & other stuff about finding the lost files or something & to press any key to continue.

Then 4 pop ups come up saying:-
    1. cant find OMG.exe or one of its components.
    2. cant load or run OMG.exe specified in the WIN.INI file.
    3. VSPUBAPI.DLL file is linked to missing export VSUTIL.DLL:[email protected]@@[email protected]
    4. C:\program files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\Zapro.exe Device attached to system not functioning.

Then it is just normal desktop but a pop up comes up all the time saying that its performed an illegal operation & needs to shut down. I click on ok but it doesnt shut down, just kind of refreshes.

That's all the info i can tell you.

Thank you.

9. Shanaye'sMum

I just tried to do system file check but it didn't work.

It said it had corrupt file: Setupx.dll
    c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM

Then i tried to restore.

I'll give description:
    Specify location of file you want to restore.
    Restore from: D:\WIIN98\
    Save File in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM

then clicked ok

Then said backup existing file before overwriting:
    Backup folder C:\WINDOWS\Helpdesk\SFC

clicked ok

Says file was not found. Verify you selected correct location & try again.

Clicking skip back up said the same thing.

Any ideas please??? this is so frustrating. I have so much stuff on my pc that i really don't want to lose.

I'm getting an external hard drive next week to save my photos before i lose them & hopefully i can save other things too.
    It's mainly emails, favourites, files in my documents, well windows that i don't want to lose. Any ideas on how i can save this?
    is it possible to get another hard drive & transfer everything over to it? Would i lose much? I wish i knew more about computers :eek: It's hard for me to explain things coz i really don't have a clue.
    Most of my daughters life is on my pc. Like all birth details & so much to do with her that would be heart breaking to lose. Also my emails in incredimail because i need them for court purposes. If i lose those i have no evidence when i go for custody.
    I wish this wasn't happening & i'm sorry for all the questions but this is so frustrating & depressing.

Thank you very much for all your help.

10. 1069

I would suggest that if the system is so unstable and you have data that you want to recover that you use the computer as little as possible until you recover the files etc. that you want.

11. 1069

For information:

I searched my win98se installation disk and could not locate this file also.

It can be found on your system here:
    My Computer > C:\ > Windows > System (you will have to click on "Show Files" )

There is a download of version 4 : 10 : 2222 here http://www.dlldump.com/download-dll-files_new.php/dllfiles/S/SETUPX.DLL/4.10.2222/download.html

If you locate yours on in the System Files ....to discover which version you have (if it is still there) right click on the file > properties > version.

If the two match you could download the file in readiness to replace the corrupt version.

I still advise that you retrieve all of the files and data from the system first.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437620

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice