1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Crash

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by jak, Jan 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jak

jak Thread Starter

I have a Compaq Presario 5827 running Windows 98SE. It has a feature
    called Quick Restore on a CD-Rom disk which formats, partitions and
    installs Windows to the hard drive. Included in the installation is a feature
    called System Save and System Restore. The System Save makes an image
    or backup of the whole hard drive and places it on a partition named system_
    save D. The system Restore feature will restore the computer to the exact state
    it was when the system save was performed.
    A couple of days ago I had a bad Windows crash that I could not recover
    from. I had to use the Quick Restore disk to format the hard drive and
    do a clean install of Windows. This brought it to the state that it was when I bought
    it. It works good now but I lost all my programs and data that I had installed
    myself. About a month prior to the crash I performed system save to the D drive partition
    on the computer and also as an added precaution put a copy of the system save D: on CD-RW disks. I had to use 5 disks to copy all the folders and files.
    At that time my computer was working perfectly. Is there a way that I can use the CD’s
    To restore my system to the way it was before the crash with all my programs intact
    and if yes how would I go about doing it without disrupting the new Windows installation. Can I just copy all the files from the CD’s to the system save D: and then run the Restore feature or is there some other way? I would sure like to restore the programs and data that I lost. Apparently, this system save and restore feature comes only with Compaq computers and the local computer stores do not know how it works. Is there anyone there that owns a Compaq and has used the restore feature using a backup on CD disks?

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Format the System_ directory so its clean then Copy the data on the CDRWs to the System_ and then use the Restore CD to access it. It's worth a try. How else did you think the CDRW data would help you in this kind if event?

In the future make reliable backups:

Backup all your sensitive data (Internet Explorer Favorites, Netscape Bookmarks and Address Book, Outlook Express Address Books and Folders, letters, pictures, databases, spreadsheets, music, etc.) to removable media for restoring later.

This would be especially easy with a CD Burner, I wish I had one, using the Sharable option like some burners have. Some burners will just create a Sharable CD without giving you options to share with other computers and not just the one you're using.

3. cshajkur

cshajkur

You can download a free copy of Power Desk 4 and this will convert your files to a zip. Then you can used your CD copy.

Then its a matter of copying the file to the directory of your choice. Power Desk 4 converts it to a self extracting file.

I'm puzzled why your "scanreg / restore" function didn't work, if you had your registry backed up. In the futre, you can reinstall Windows over the existing copy by placing it in a diferent directory during installation. Windows ask you this when you installing the program.
    In this way, you won't loose all of your programs if the original (.exe or zip file) are stored in the default C:\Windows\download directory. Go Here: Three choices for Power Desk 4

http://www.completelyfreesoftware.com/desktop_utilities2_w95.html
    http://ontrack.com/
    http://www.mywebattack.com/enter.php?ref=lgnome

Been there Done That! and can feel your pain!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64955

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice