1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer crashed. Blue screen. Issues in safe mode

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Rmarie, Feb 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rmarie

Rmarie Thread Starter

Hello all, thank you for taking the time to read this. I am not very tech savvy, but spent 5 hours on FaceTime pointing at my computer with the person who normally repairs my computer. And we couldn't resolve the issue.

I'm posting from my phone. So I will have to post specs later if I can get safe mode to work.

Windows 7 64bit
    Nvidia GTX 480

I was playing an online game and the computer went to a black screen. I got the "no input signal check video cable" as if the monitor was unplugged. It then restarted itself. It gets as far as the windows splash screen, then goes black for about 35seconds, and the blue screen error appears. It restarts, and brings you to the

"Start windows normally"
    "Last known configuration" ect screen

I tried last known configuration
    Clean boot
    In safe mode, ran cc cleaner, advanced system care, malwarebytes, Norton power something (to remove root kit viruses) defraged.

My video card is out of date by one version. However when I try to install the update I get "cannot install due to .NET framework error"
    I tried installing the latest .net framework and it says it can't be done in safe mode.

I cannot get into windows at all on a normal startup.

I uninstalled my Nvidia gtx 480 drivers and software using the power scan option with advanced system care. And I installed a previous version. 3.45 from 2014 which installed no problem and did not require the .net framework.

What should I try at this point?

2. Rmarie

Rmarie Thread Starter

Sorry, I also tried to system restore before doing any system defrags ect. And it said it couldn't be applied after the restart, and said that the point I just tried to use was damaged in the process and could be used again

3. Rmarie

Rmarie Thread Starter

Turned the computer on this morning. It started to run a windows repair, and now it just says "no operating system"

4. valis

valis Moderator

do you have the install disk? sounds like either the HD died, or the OS got corrupted. Have you tried safe mode?

5. Rmarie

Rmarie Thread Starter

We reinstalled. It is running on normal mode, although it is using the Microsoft video driver, and not my Nvidia gtx. I am installing all of the windows updates. I figure I have the ability to download the .net framework now (which I couldn't do earlier in safe mode)

When it is done. I have the install disc for my GTX 480. Should I then run that, and then go to the Nvidia site and download the most current driver?

This is assuming that when put the disc in and activate the video card, That it doesn't blue screen.
    That would at least mean the video card is probably broken then right?

6. Rmarie

Rmarie Thread Starter

Restarted computer as it recommended after it installed of of the windows updates. It did install some Nvidia components. Upon restart, went to splash screen, and then to blue screen again. I restarted, f8 and ran with the low resolution option. It got past te splash screen then, and displayed the windows login screen. But it was blotchy pink and blue, and then it went black and displayed "no input signal check video cable" and just stayed black. It didn't auto restart or anything.

7. Rmarie

Rmarie Thread Starter

Put an older video card in, and it ran totally fine. It was in fact the video card. If anyone runs Into these issues later, don't bother with the windows restore ect. now I have duplicate files of everything to purge. Big waste of time when it was just the video card this whole time. Maybe I was just in denial that my GTX 480 had somehow come to the end of its life. The computer has 6 fans and runs in basement... Temps at 14-17celsius.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142758

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice