1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Crashed, I need help!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Divinewords, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Divinewords

Divinewords Thread Starter

Hello forum.

My dad sent me his 99 Micron Computer. As old as it was, it worked very well until last week. It had Windows 98 on it. I was on the internet, and all of a sudden, I lost my desktop and the computer was running slow. I shut everything down to restart, and now the whole operating system does not work.

1. I boot up, and it shows the Win 98 screen
    2. An OLD screensaver comes up
    3. An error appears: Error starting Program
    4. Another error appears: Cannot start Explorer.exe-you must reinstall Windows.
    5. If I click those windows off, there is nothing but the old wallpaper.
    6. It also says that it could not find a DLL file and Kemel32

I have tried to go and set it up in MS-DOS mode, but I don't know much about that. Can someone please help me! I need my PC. Can I still save it? Also, what happened? did I get a virus?

2. dc57

dc57

It sounds like you can boot to DOS so, how about trying this:
    at the c: prompt, type scanreg /restore then hit enter. this should bring up a blue screen with a menu giving you a few dates with registry backups. try to find one from before this happened and restore to it. Not sure if it will work for you, but it's worth a try.
    Don

3. Divinewords

Divinewords Thread Starter

I found a friend who is going to try to help me. I will forward this idea to him. Thank you so much for your advice! :D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276577

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice