1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer crashed, need help pls

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by bball_1523, Jan 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bball_1523

bball_1523 Thread Starter

My friend's computer crashed, he has an Emachines, with win 98, and the computer crashed suddenly...I think it says C drive not found...compusa told him he needed to install a new A drive and new harddrive...I was wondering if there was an alternative free way of fixing this computer? I'll try to give more details soon. thanks

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Might try opening it up and reseating the drive cables.

3. bball_1523

how do i reseat drivers?

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Not the drivers, but the cables connected to the hard drive. Anything loose or not seated fully could cause the drive not to be detected.

By the way, did he take that machine to compusa to get that diagnosis? I don't know why they'd mention the 'a' drive unless they had done some testing.

5. bball_1523

no, he just called them, but i can get into Dos drive... It gave an error saying:

One or more of your disk drives may have developed bad sectors. Press any key to run SCANDISK with surface analysis on these drives...

There was an error running SCANDISK.EXE, or it was canceled. Run SCANDISK for windows, as you may still have errors on your disk(s). Press any key to continue starting Windows...

File allocation table bad, drive %1
    C

That is exactly what his computer says when it starts up, and there it freezes and i cant do anything but restart the computer...

Any suggestions pls?

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Do I understand that you have booted with a startup disk and tried to run scandisk from it (scandisk c:\) and it won't run or repair?

There are two copies of FAT, and scandisk is supposed to be able to replace the first one if it is damaged.

If it can't, I don't think you have much option except to format the drive and reinstall windows.

But you might want to see if you can find a drive diagnostic utility on the Hard Drive manufacturers site, download and run it to see if the drive is still viable. (well I guess there's no telling what that is in an Emachine....)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65820

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice