1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Crashed on Reboot - Cannot Read Hard Drive - HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TracyHasTroubles, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TracyHasTroubles

TracyHasTroubles Thread Starter

Dear TSG,
    I certainly hope you can help me. My computer crashed right before going on vacation and I'm now back to deal with it. :eek: On 6/24, I did a simple reboot because one of my all-in-one printers that I use for faxing was offline. (I have an older HP Officejet and a Lexmark x7350). Upon reboot, while going through the BIOS checks, the system halted and displayed "A disk read error occurred......Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart". This is as far as it gets. I tossed in my Norton Save and Restore to see if I could fix the problem. Unfortunately, my last recovery point is several months ago and I don't really want to lose any data so I have not done a recovery through this method. I did do a complete system scan for viruses, etc. and also a complete checkdisk with automatic correction of errors. Both of these processed without finding anything wrong. I can read the hard drive and all of my files by using a utility function on the Norton Save & Restore disk. I did this and found that there were changes to my system the day before involving a file (amongst others) called LXCICATS. At the same time this file was added, I also noted a simultaneous update to my rundll32.exe file. When I did a search of the internet on this file name, I came up with your site and a starting point to remedy the problem using Hijack This. Unfortunately, I can't even start my system to load this application. Is there any other way (perhaps using a CD) to run this application without needing the operating system? If not, where can I go from here?

Thanks so much for any help you can give me on this. :)

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do you have the XP CD? If so, boot from it, press "R" for "Repair", and log into the Recovery Console. There, run chkdsk /p on your drive.

3. TracyHasTroubles

TracyHasTroubles Thread Starter

I tried that in the beginning but the computer screen goes blank and the CD drive stopps humming right after it says "Setup is checking your hardware." It's like it hibernates or something. From there, I have to depress the on/off button twice to turn it off and turn it back on again. Please note that I CAN boot to the Norton Save & Restore disk but something is keeping me from getting any further on the XP Setup disk. Can you think of anything else to try?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!