1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer crashed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wizzard, Apr 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wizzard

wizzard Thread Starter

My computer won't start. It makes a weird siren noise when i turn it on. The problem started when i adjusted the Cmos setting. I was trying to install norton antivirus and i was trying to take advantage of the trial period, which was a bad idea. So i adjusted my CMOS date settings and changed it to 2010 and install norton and then changed the date back. Now my computer won't even give me a boot up screen. Please help...

2. Firah

Firah

wizzard,

You could clear CMOS.

I think that siren sound at startup generally means the CPU is over heating, though.

3. wizzard

wizzard Thread Starter

how exactly would i clear the cmos..i can't even get a boot up screen. What would happen if i did clear up the cmos?

4. Firah

Firah

Clearing the CMOS will restore the default settings. You'll have to go in back there and re-sellect some settings to get the system to run optimally.

Take off the case cover and look for a jumper close to the battery. Move it from pins 1-2 and put it on pins 2-3. Wait ten minutes and then move it back. Removing the battery itself from the socket does the same thing.

5. wizzard

wizzard Thread Starter

ok..i'll try that..thanks for the help

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Also look to see if your HSF connector has come loose. That will usually also cause an over heat alarm.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/220069

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice