1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer crashed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by misschalonda, Aug 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. misschalonda

misschalonda Thread Starter

I have an emachine--model #W2646, windows xp home edition. I only had it for almost 2yrs. Let me explain what happened-- My computer wasn't even turned on, all I did was unplug my pc, because i needed to use the outlet for something else. When I plugged it back in, it turned on by itself, but my screen stayed blank. I tried turning it off by the power button, but it won't turn off. The only way I can get it to shut down, is by keeping it unplugged. I tried plugging it into a different outlet, but I'm still having the same problem, the power button will light up, and stay lit as long as its plugged. I tried pressing and holding the power button, to get it to shut down or reboot, still no luck. I haven't had any problems with my pc, before now--someone please help. I don't know whats wrong with it.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

My immediate guess would be a Power Supply Unit (PSU) failure.
    Second guess would be a major motherboard failure.

Only by trying a replacement PSU can the possibility be confirmed or eliminated however.

Even though you said the computer "wasn't even turned on", the PSU would have been alive and supplying the SB rail, on power restoration it may have just decided to fail.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yep I agree with power supply and eMachines are known for having the poorest quality ones on hand besides.

4. qldit

qldit

Good Afternoon misschalonda, I hate having to agree with this pair of refrobates that spend most of their time hanging around the young girls school gate with a bag of "Lollies", but it most certainly looks like they could under some stretched possibility of imagination maybe be correct in this one instance! (for the first time in their corrupted lives!)

What type of system, processor and machine is it?
    Cheers, qldit.

5. seymoreandmissy

seymoreandmissy

there is a quirk with e machines and psu's blowing, the solution to your problem is too change both the motherboard and psu together. you wont get a solution from only changing one item. the new psu blows the northbridge chip on the mobo but wont when changed together. Sometimes you may find that on fixing the comp that the keyboard has blown too...you may also have to re activate windows due to changing the mobo. hope this helps...

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

But if you do that (and fit a non-identical e-machine motherboard), you also need a new copy of Windows (the old one is BIOS locked to the motherboard), the new board will probably need newer RAM ... and so it goes on. If you subscribe to that path, you might as well toss the box now and replace it...

Evening qldit. Please don't judge others by your own habits... (by the way, it's an Intel Celeron 2.6GHz Processor / 256MB RAM / 40GB Hard Drive / CD-RW Drive / Win XP Home, if you polish your specs).
    6°C and raining all day, both here and in the Capital (where I have been haunting the corridors of power again), hope you are enjoying that horrible heat.

7. qldit

qldit

Good Evening All, that possibility sounds ominous if it takes the board with it!
    I notice something funny about the PSU's for that system, is it one of those special PSU's?

G'day Kiwi, I wish we could have some of your rain over here, things are getting grim with our water supply. (It is no problem for the Kiwi population here because they never wash!!)
    Currently 23C at 2100hrs. A decent exorcist over there would work wonders!!
    Cheers, qldit.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489946

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice