1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer crashes after closing AIM... error in win32k.sys

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by starwolf39, Jan 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starwolf39

starwolf39 Thread Starter

Everytime I close AIM my computer briefly hangs, then goes to the infamous BSOD, saying that an error in win32k.sys has ocurred, and something about a PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA.

This only started happening after I installed a new Radeon 9800 Pro and has some trouble with the drivers. At the same time, I also had to update the drivers for my Creative Audigy MP3, which has ALWAYS been causing me driver conflicts and errors.

Have any of you guys heard of this problem, or am I alone here?

2. starwolf39

Bumped!

3. snappy_31

snappy_31

Starwolf I have a ATI 9200 Video card (enough laughter), I just built my system and had a heck of a time with BSOD popping up sending error reports always brought me back a Device Driver screen. (U have a sweet looking machine by the way).

OK so I got mad and the store that sold me my ATI card said they could replace it if I brought in the tower so I take it in and the guy can't get it working. calls me up 2 days later and says it fixed.

He reinstalled the drivers (still happened), He played with all the setting in display (still happened), Out of the blue he Flashed the BIOS & changed the voltage in the BIOS to 0.2V to the AGP adapter and bang on it works like a charm, Use your own judgement as it is the Heart of the machine. YOUR CALL

Also run a DXDIAG from start run and run the sound and video tests.

Just a shot man hope this helps
    Peter

4. starwolf39

Thanks for the compliments on my machine, snappy_31.

I ran all the sound and video tests under dxdiag, and everything passed. I'm a little cautious about bumping up the volatage to the AGP Adapter. If I change the voltage do I run the risk of ruining my motherboard, video card, or another peripheral?

I've tried playing with the drivers in the past, and at one point I uninstalled the graphics drivers and reinstalled the latest ones from the ATI site, so I think my graphics drivers are OK.

5. snappy_31

snappy_31

Well I cannot tell you for sure as the technician that worked on my machine just couldn't get my video card to really RUN well.
    It would show me the basics but games, not so good, I really got mad and like I said gave them the tower to find the issue.
    2 Days later he said he fixed it and what he did was bump up the power to video card.
    LIKE I ALWAYS SAY!!! Play with your BIOS at your own risk!!!
    Really easy way to render your PC unusable.
    I would try the power issue if all else fails with driver and such.
    Keep in mind that all it takes is one program accessing the video driver that is poorly written and bang you are looking at a blue screen.
    Take note of any file name in the blue screen and search it out to see if that is the issue or not
    Hope all this helps
    Peter

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/192982

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice