1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Computer crashes always - or never (in safe mode)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by cossyo, Oct 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cossyo

cossyo Thread Starter

I hope that someone with intimate knowledge of the workings of the PC and Windows 7 would be willing to comment on this:

I use a Lenovo (ThinkCentre M55 8810-BV6) desktop with Win 7 in 'safe with networking' mode, with enabled sound and full resolution; regardless of how heavily the CPU, etc. is charged, it runs fine - I can watch several video streams simultaneously, communicate on social networks, download torrents, etc. - never a single(!) crash.

However, if I try to run the machine in 'normal' mode, it crashes in less than 15 minutes, even if left idling, and with most services disabled or set to 'manual'!? And - there's no blue screen, minidump or record in events logs!?

Any ideas about what might be the explanation for this behaviour!?

2. Lozzy-loz

Lozzy-loz

This is a shot in the dark.These type of problems are often associated with the graphics card or drivers.Try running in normal mode and disable the graphics driver.If it doesn't crash in the 15min time span you'll know where the problem lies.

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

It may be overheating!
    Both the graphics card and the CPU.
    It may be bad memory at the higher end that only gets used in normal mode. I would test that first with EMM386 or similar.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Download MGADiag and save it to your desktop.

Double-click on MGADiag.exe to launch the program.

Click "Continue".

Ensure that the "Windows" tab is selected (it should be by default).

Click the "Copy" button to copy the MGA Diagnostic Report to the Windows clipboard.

Paste the MGA Diagnostic Report back here in your next reply.

------------------------------------------------------------

No further assistance can be given until the log is submitted and examined.

------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1134638

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice