1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer crashes and restarts upon opening games

Discussion in 'Games' started by necro_origin, Jan 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. necro_origin

necro_origin Thread Starter

hi. i have been having a serious problem with my PC the last couple of days. simply, when i try to open any game, the computer crashes and automatically restarts.
    about 2 months ago, i downloaded a free online game called Flyff. it worked fine for sumtime, but then it started making problems, and the most serious of them was that after it logs into the game, it crashes, freezes for like 3 minutes, then the computer resarts. didnt happen all of the time, but most of it. worthy to mention thati used to run the media player in the background, and it still ran while the game froze. when i posted this on the game forum, i found out that it's a very common problem in Flyff, which made me feel better (coz i know it's not affiliated with sumthing wrong in my pC alone), and i stopped playing the game...
    just 3 days ago, the problem happened again, but with ALL other games!! warcraft III, civilization IV, and battle realms; all freeze when the game is about to start--by that i mean going into the game screen (for example after selecting single player, a certain mission, set the game settings, and now i will start to take control of the game). i ran many anti-spyware and anti-virus tests, all using guidance from tech guy forums. i removed many spyware and viruses, including a trojan i discovered in flyff, called ****_flyff (sorry, i didnt choose its name!), a trojan called intell32, many others as well. i imagined that the trojan of flyff was the cause of all this, as its the same problem happened with flyff, i even deleted both the source of the game and the installed folder; but it was not it. the problem didnt go away.
    when i was fed up, i decided to make a clean format for drive c and install a new windows. i did it, and worthy to mention that when i chose to make a normal NTFS format, the drive wasnt completely freed: it said i have free 4.5 GB out of 5, and the windows folder couldnt b erased (i knew after i formatted, it still gave me the choice whether i wand to intall windows in a different folder or delete this one by pressing L). i installed the latest windows updates, ran a full microsoft anti-spyware scan after updating it, and the same i did with norton anti-virus. i installed civ IV, warcraft III, and i was shocked that the problem was even worse!! the computer crashes only by opening the game! warcraft freezes when trying to load the main menu, and civ IV even when displaying the '2k' logo (the very first thing). i even found out that the computer crashes after a while of opening the internet explorer!!! i tried every scanner and anti-malware i got, including ewidos, smitrem, killbox, hijackthis, cleanup, and kaspresky; all on the safe mode. well, after all that, the internet explorer worked fine (else i wouldn b able to post this now) but civIV and warIII, total failure.
    i'm attaching my DXdiag file with this post.

i'm quite sorry for the long thread, and really i would appreciate any help. thanks a lot.

Attached Files:

2. necro_origin

i wanted to add that this doesn't only happen with civilization IV and warcraft III, but with all other fullscreen games: battle realms, warhammer 40k dawn of war, rise of nations, and even chicken invaders 2! :confused: i tried them all...

again thanks for ur concern

3. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan

I assume you already have Hijack This installed because you mentioned it in your post. Make sure it is installed to a permanent folder and not just your desktop and then do a system scan and save a log file. Don't fix anything yet!!! Copy and paste the contents of the log into this thread (don't attach a file, just copy and paste it in).

Also, to prevent your computer from Automatically Restarting:

• Start
    • Control Panel
    • System
    • Advanced
    • Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings
    • Make sure the box next to Automatically Restart is unchecked

Now instead, you will probably get the ol' Blue Screen of Death with an error message. Copy down all the necessary information including the error name, error code, parameters, and the file (if any) that is causing the problem. You'll have to do a hard reboot using the power button to get out of the BSoD. Restart the computer and post the contents of the blue screen here as well.

Do both the Hijack This log as well as the BSoD contents.

4. necro_origin

i did as u instructed: unchecked "automatically restart", pressed ok, went fine. no error screens appeared. i tried tha games after that: they still crash, but the computer doesnt restart by itself, i have to restart in manually (coz nothing works, no alt+ctrl+del, nothin wut soever).

here's the hijack log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 11:05:34 PM, on 1/20/2006
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoctrl.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\AdvTools\NPROTECT.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Stardock\Object Desktop\ThemeManager\wbload.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Azureus\Azureus.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\javaw.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
    C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    E:\Sources\Anti Spyware\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: Need2Find Bar BHO - {4D1C4E81-A32A-416b-BCDB-33B3EF3617D3} - C:\Program Files\Need2Find\bar\1.bin\ND2FNBAR.DLL
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: ST - {9394EDE7-C8B5-483E-8773-474BF36AF6E4} - C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\ST\01.03.0000.1005\en-xu\stmain.dll
    O2 - BHO: MSNToolBandBHO - {BDBD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\MSN Toolbar\01.02.3000.1001\en-us\msntb.dll
    O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: MSN - {BDAD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\MSN Toolbar\01.02.3000.1001\en-us\msntb.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Advanced Tools Check] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\AdvTools\ADVCHK.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - Startup: Azureus.lnk = C:\Program Files\Azureus\Azureus.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &Search - http://kl.bar.need2find.com/KL/menusearch.html?p=KL
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O16 - DPF: {0EB0E74A-2A76-4AB3-A7FB-9BD8C29F7F75} (CKAVWebScan Object) - http://www.kaspersky.com/downloads/kws/kavwebscan_unicode.cab
    O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: WB - C:\Program Files\Stardock\Object Desktop\ThemeManager\fastload.dll
    O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation Service (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoctrl.exe
    O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Norton Unerase Protection (NProtectService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\AdvTools\NPROTECT.EXE
    O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe

5. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

But I also see your vid card is the minimum for Civ 4...

Windows could not be deleted?.. That tells me bad things are still afoot.. Something virus or other is still holding your system hostage.

Or.. This could be a bad time for a hard drive failing.. Or even your vid card..

You do know that some viruses and things can actualy kill hardware, right?
    I've heard something about "Rootkits" very hard to detect and can kill a motherboard.
    Just some about them.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rootkit

I don't know how to test a hard drive, but a clean one would be best.. If it ain't clean something can stay behind..

Also, Have you checked for dust? Heat can crash games..
    Remove the side case and use a small fan to blow air in.. (Just cheap easy things to try)

6. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

So, No blue screen? It just locks up?...

7. necro_origin

i assure u, it's not the dust neither the heat. i just cleaned the cards and ram sticks using an air blower 1 week ago. the processor fan is working fine, and besides, i use photoshop which uses up to 80,000 k, java uses about 30,000 k, for really, really long times. actually i rarely close the computer. last but not least, i keep the heat warning on, so i would know if it was a heat problem.

viruses that damage hardware...well, how do i know that?? do u have a scan or a certain method to find that out??

and no, it doesnt lock up when i uncheck "automatically restart". it goes fine, i press ok, the window is closed. i check back, it's still unchecked, and the computer is running smoothly..

i appreciate ur concern, as well as i'll b thankful for any further help...

8. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan

There is a difference between games CRASHING and games LOCKING UP.

Crashing would mean that the game would crash to the desktop unexpectedly. You should be able to continue doing other things on your computer without rebooting.

Locking up/freezing means that the game will 'get stuck' and sometimes a CTRL+ALT+DEL won't get you out of it and you're forced to restart the computer.

I assume you are experiencing the latter situation- freezing and not crashing, correct?

9. necro_origin

in the light of this new knowledge then yes, i'm facing locking up/freezing as soon as i start any fullscreen game...

10. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Well a crash would also produce the BSoD, hence the "auto reboot"..

All the lock-ups I've ever had won't produce a BSoD.. It just "hangs" and I need to reboot.

Ok it could still be your Vid card.. When you cleaned the stuff with air.. Was this before or after the crashing problem?

Thats not the part I meant.. After the game crashes, you don't get a blue screen?
    Your computer is not rebooting, and you don't get a BSoD? It just "locks". Is this right?

11. necro_origin

the cleaning was b4 the problem. the video card suggestion can b eliminated as all the games were playing just fine, including civilization IV. i'm tellin u even chicken invaders does it!!

any other ideas..?

12. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

I can't just eliminate the card.. That is all your graphics right there.. It can go bad at any inopportune time..

Small chance dust was forced into the card and has changed it's contact, Or a small static charge.. I don't know.

The only two possibilities I can think of right now are, Drivers or the card it self.

Every full screen game.. even simple ones... hmm.. You can try completely removing the drivers and trying agin.. Or try an older version of drivers..

Or remove and reinstall the vid card use the default windows driver and check the Chicken game.. If that works it's drivers...

So many little things can be the problem, you (we) need to just hunt them down.

13. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan

Cards can go bad at any time. In November and persisting through all of December, I began getting all these graphical corruptions (green/purple vertical lines on games, and on non-graphic things like the Internet).

Turns out the card bit the dust all of a sudden and I had to get it replaced through warranty by Dell. Seems to be working good now.

14. Daniel0000

Daniel0000

My comp. does about the same thing. Crashes during high-end and low-end games with settings maxed out or minned out. Tried everything. Maybe I'm getting some sort of hardware virus as well? Or my x800xt is breaking.

15. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Well, like we've said, many things can go wrong..
    Daniel, you need to pick a point to start your diagnostics..

Start with...
    1. Is it heat related?
    2. Do you have the newest drivers? (even those can be bad, try installing again, or an older version)

3. Is your PC free from spyware and viruses?
    4. Do you have many programs running in the background?
    5. Do you even meet the requirements for the game?

Not really a specific order, but things to look at..

You can try reinstalling your card..
    Think back, did this happen at about the same time, something else went wrong?
    Like a virus, a power failure, ect..

Pick a point to start and get crack'in..

As for hardware viruses... I've heard of them, but have never really seen one in action.. So I have no idea how common they are.

One way to test the card is to put it in another PC..

Even Hard Drives can cause crashes.. So much in a PC can go wrong, thats why this often takes so long to find.. And without being there, and knowing what has been tried, it's even harder.. ( for me any way) I can only offer suggestions, and what I've heard or read..

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435930

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice