1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer crashes..could be related to monitor or graphics card )=

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Fuzius, Aug 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fuzius

Fuzius Thread Starter

well, my computer started crashing\shutting itself down like maybe twice a day now.
    i'm not an expert in these matters, but i think its related to the graphics card
    or the monitor. because it seems to happen only when or after i play a computer game or a flash game online. plus the monitor is a bit old and not the one i bought with the computer, and it seems to get heated up. so i figured maybe the monitor\card have an overload or something and cause the pc to crush. can anyone help? )=

2. Megabite

Megabite

It will not be the Monitor

But it is most likely the Video Card or PC itself overheating and causing the shutdown.

Make-sure all the fans are running and that the PC is cleaned out of any dust.

Try taking the tower side off if it has one, and blow a household fan in there at full blast and run the game and see.

3. Fuzius

Fuzius Thread Starter

hmm okay i'll try that, maybe the problem is in the fans. thanx!
    any more advice will be appreciated.

4. brillser

brillser

Hi there,
    How old is the machine?
    How much RAM do you have?
    do you defrag your hard drive often?

5. Fuzius

Fuzius Thread Starter

i think its 3 years old
    1024 ram

hmm i dont defrag that much yeah, i should do that..

6. brillser

brillser

7. talkinggoat

talkinggoat

Take the side cover off your computer. Don't touch anything and make sure your computer is still plugged in, but off. It's very important that you don't touch anything insite. Look at your CPU fan, if you can see it. It might look something like this If it doesn't, let me know.

If it looks dirty, go to the store and get some compressed air in a can. You should be able to see past the fan blades into the sink and see the fins. If it's a little dusty, don't worry about it and message me back. If it is dirty, use the air to blow out the CPU heat sink. It's a good idea to hold the fan, so it doesn't spin free. If you don't you'll ruin the bearings inside and it'll make noise. Just hold the fan. If there is no fan, back up and tell me. for further advise. When you hold the fan, make sure you are touching the metal on the case and the case is plugged into the wall. Once you have your finger on the fan, you can let go of the case and grab your compressed air. If you decide to blow out any other parts of the computer, make sure you hold any fans that may spin, or you'll ruin them.

The reason you're holding the case is to keep from static shocking your computer. When you grab the case, you ground yourself out. If you move around, you'll build up static.

It sounds like your computer is overheating, though.

8. brillser

brillser

hi all,

Cleaning dust from the inside won't do any harm either, but DON'T GIVE IT ANY STATIC, as Talkinggoat points out.

9. Fuzius

Fuzius Thread Starter

ok i opened the case,
    there seems to be a layer of dust\weird grey stuff behind the blades,
    so i'll shut down again and try to blow it away,hmm are there any other possible reasons that can cause the cpu(or video card) to overheat? anyway, i'll see if it crashes again after its cleaned. by the way i think the defragment thing didnt do much because it finished pretty fast.

edit: one thing i forgot to say is that i sometimes dont shut the computer for long periods(even when i'm not using it), maybe thats a problem too.

**edit2**: after cleaning the dust the computer still crashed. but once i put the fan in front of it it stopped crashing, it cooled down i guess.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/736217

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice