1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer crashes during games.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hellyeah17, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hellyeah17

hellyeah17 Thread Starter

When I'm playing Warhammer Online or Crysis, my computer will suddenly hard-lock, and the monitor will lose connection with the video card (You know, when it says "POWERING OFF IN 5") forcing me to restart. I'm only going to list the components that are relevant. The only PCI card I have is my Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS.

CPU: E8400 Core 2 Duo @3.6GHz
    GPU: XFX Alpha Dog 8800GT Factory OCed to 640MHz
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Revision 2.
    PSU: Corsair HX520

I have tried the following things:
    -Installing Vista on a separate partition and running games on there
    -Running my motherboard/CPU on optimized settings and removing overclock
    -Removing my Sound Card
    -Disabling onboard sound
    -Disconnecting all extra HDDs and all optical drives
    -Swapping my RAM with different sticks
    -Several hours of Prime95 with strict thermal monitoring and no issues.
    -GPU stress testing with strict thermal monitoring and no issues.
    -Updating BIOS
    -Updating all drivers

Ideas/suggestions?

2. Mirza Nevjestic

Mirza Nevjestic

Hi,

You should check the power supply

3. BG-0

BG-0

Gotta agree, though it seems very unpropable that the power supply would be overstressed by only games (propably 100 % gfx and cpu load at a moment), but it's quite possible...
    Corsair is top notch, but there might be a slight flaw in it, and anyways 520 W is quite tight for optimum performance, not stressing the PSU to the limit...

4. hellyeah17

I personally have huge problems considering it being the PSU since it's got such strong ampage on the 12V rails. I even unplugged my extra HDDs and all my optical drives, IN ADDITION to having no sound card. It was literally bare-bones. There's no way that would be too much stress. Could it be defective?

5. BG-0

BG-0

Could. As you've gone through about everything else... Well. Might be worth an RMA?

6. hellyeah17

After trying a different PSU (Antec 450w with only bare-bone components), I can rule out any PSU issues. I guess that leaves three possible suspects.

-Video Card
    -Motherboard
    -CPU (Extremely unlikely. Running at stock settings with a custom cooler).

I'm going to put the video card into another computer and see if I can get it to crash. If it doesn't, I guess it's either a conflict between my video card and motherboard, or my motherboard is faulty.

7. hellyeah17

It took about 3 hours of gaming, but it eventually crashed. So, it is indeed my video card. I seem to recall trying putting the fan up to 100% before and still getting crashes, so I don't think it's a thermal issue. What are the chances that both PSUs are inadequate and just biting the bullet when the 8800 asks for too much power? Seems almost impossible. Both PSUs are very high quality.

8. BG-0

BG-0

Well, the low end Antec PSUs(Basiq and such) are actually quite low quality, still being better than any of the Modecom and Yantan and whatever "brandless" PSUs. Still, 450 W EW or such should be just enough to run it... At least on barebone.
    Have you ever actually monitored gfx card temps?

9. kame_sanjo

kame_sanjo

I had that problem with a previous 8800GTX just last year. It started crashing more and more and having crazy fits with my monitor, had it RMA'd and everything is fine now.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755966

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice