1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer crashes frequently.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jiminy, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jiminy

Jiminy Thread Starter

I have a P4 1.5, 256 MB Ram with Windows XP (home ed). It is a Cicerio; I bought it from a large retailer about a year and a half ago.

Every now and then my computer would just reboot for no reason, with no warning and no visible error message. Lately the frequency of these crashes has increased to 1-2 times per day.

I ran a virus check - nothing. I ran scan disk - nothing. I checked for spyware - nothing. I defragged and still nothing helped.

Finally I decided to reformat my Hard Drive and reinstall XP. I reformatted without any problem, but when I went to install XP, it spontaneously restarted in mid-installation.

I tried installing again, and reformating again, but each time I try it it crashes the same as before. It crashes at a different point in the installation each time.

I think I have a hardware problem. It ran fine for a long time, and nothing has been added to it. There is little to no dust inside and the temps are ok according to the BIOS.

Now I'm stuck. I don't want to start swapping out parts until it's solved, but I will if I have a list of usual suspects.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. BTS '76

BTS '76

sounds like your power supply is dying, I would check it with a multimeter if you have one or swap it out for a known good one.

3. Chum

Chum

I agree, power supply is most likely cause.

4. Jiminy

Jiminy Thread Starter

OK. I can try to swap out the supply to another. How do I know what power supply to buy?

5. Jiminy

Jiminy Thread Starter

New development....

I did not switch out the power supply, however, I used a different outlet in case it may have been overloaded (doubtful, but you never know).

I managed to get through a complete insatll of XP. Now I have error messages all over the place. One error when installing printer driver, another when opening msn messenger. I rebooted and before windows loaded back up I got another error message on a blue screen:

DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS THAN OR EQUAL

GRRRRRRR.....

6. lafn

lafn

you should get a 400 watt or more power supply...

Billy

---------------------------------------------------
    Most good judgement comes from experience.
    Most experience comes from bad judgement.

7. lafn

lafn

this is a really good site someone here sent me too, try it... cant hurt, but power supply sounds like a problem...

www.pcpitstop.com

Billy

8. Jiminy

Jiminy Thread Starter

Before I buy another power supply, I have some new developments. Now I have finally successfully loaded XP. I have a few sparatic error messages, but it seems fine for now. The errprs are with iexplorer. Do you still think it could be the power supply?

If so, why 400 watts? The current one is 250 watts. I have 2 HDD's (one master, one slave), a CD ROM and CD Burner, floppy, mouse, keyboard, monitor (regular stuff). Is there a specific power supply to get?

9. Chum

Chum

P4s need at least 350 watts...Try to get a Sparkle it is the best PS at reasonable prices.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115004

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice