Computer crashes. Its 3.2Ghz 1gb Ram 600GbHD

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Resendiz

I purchased a used computer from a refurbished "computer warehouse" about a week ago. It froze on me a few times so i took it back yesterday and had them give me another one. Then the same thing started happening here. My laptop thats only 1.8ghs 512 ram doesnt even freeze and i do the exact same thing on it. Heres what i usually have open.

Youtube
Mozilla
and thats pretty much it. I dont really do much on them.

So I got the AVG 11 30 trial to see if it was a virus. Scanned computer, removed viruses. Still, the problem keeps happening.

Then I downloaded a registry cleaner, a few actually, but never installed more than one at a time. The cleaners said that she computer was cleaned out, then it still freezes.

I dont know where to go from here, since the computer was cleaned out already so theres not many programs that can be causing the problem i think. It has zero viruses and clean registry.

When the computer freezes its in the middle of nowhere, but it has only happened when Im on it, doing different things so I have not been able to notice any patterns.

I figured that a 3.2ghz and 1GB ram computer would be able to handle my average day to day use that my 1.8ghz laptop can clearly handle.

Do you guys have an idea of what it could be? What other test i can do?

Please help, its getting to be a headache knowing i have a decently powerful computer that freezes up.

i hate turning it off through the power button....

thanks guys

Sounds like corrupt registry. When you find computers in these kind of places, there often not working right, which is why they are returned. The previous owner probably just bought a new one.

Anyways, you need to rewind your registry to an earlier state, but first, I would download all the newest drivers from the internet and put them in c:\drivers. If you don't do this first, you'll find yourself having some devices not having any drivers associated with them. I would then use Ubuntu to rewind the registry. Here is how:

1) Download, burn and boot to Ubuntu.
2) Click places and find your hard drive (the one with a windows folder in it)
3) If you have a Driver CD, please copy the contents of it to a new folder which should be designated the name "drivers." If not, using the internet, download all the drivers to the drivers folder. Reason for doing this is because the next few steps rewinds your registry and will require you to install drivers.
4) Rename the Windows\system32\config\system file to system.bad
5) Copy Windows\repair\system to the Windows\system32\config folder and restart.
6) Reboot to windows and try again.
7) If above steps prove to be worse than before, just boot back into Ubuntu, and delete the windows\system32\config\system file and rename the system.bad to system.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online