1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer crashes when I try to watch videos.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hellsscope, Jul 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hellsscope

Hellsscope Thread Starter

My computer crashes if I try to watch a video in ANYTHING but VLC media player, videos online and such work but if I try to open a video in any media player besides VLC I get BSOD.

Specs:

Win XP SP 3
    HD 4650 AGP 1g VRAM
    Pentium 4 2.8ghz w/HT
    2g RAM

2. BenTechMac

BenTechMac

Do you mean a DVD when you say video? or a file you have downloaded to watch?

VLC will play most files because it is packed with Codecs, which are needed to display correctly video from a downloaded file or a DVD.
    Windows media player doesn't necessarily come packed with all those that are needed...

However, it is unusual for it to cause a BSOD.

Have you been to Windows Update recently? Do a full scan, and install any updates including driver updates.
    See if that helps.

3. Hellsscope

Hellsscope Thread Starter

Fully updated windows/drivers, I have codecs and everything, and yes downloaded videos from youtube or game-trailers or straight up DVD's will crash the computer unless ran from VLC.

4. BenTechMac

BenTechMac

If you haven't already update the sound and video drivers from the manufacturers website. (not just leaving it to the ones on Windows update)

If you have done this already, does it do it in a different user account on your computer?

http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html

thats a good read for these sorts of issues! :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/934635

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice