1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer crashes when playing any game(besides browser game)

Discussion in 'Games' started by morroblivion, Nov 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. morroblivion

morroblivion Thread Starter

About 3-4 months ago, my uncle placed a GeForce 9500GT video card. It worked nice for games like Dekaron,Rappelz,Oblivion but just about a week ago it crashed on COD2. I thought it was normal but it happened on Left 4 dead too. I started to get worried and thought it was normal but then it kept on crashing on Portal(1st stage, at around 20-30 seconds on the timer) and almost any game i borrow from my friends. It crashed on Warcraft 3, Overlord, Drift City(only in Undercity Mission). Im kinda worried now maybe you guys can help me.

It crashes and sometimes the sound loops but sometimes it doesnt. Im not sure if it's only the monitor because some of my games cant be shut by using ALT F4 and i cant check if it shuts down well. When i unplug,plug and turn it on, there are no warnings or things that say it recovered from an error.It just starts normally. Some people say i have to upgrade my Video card driver but im worried because when i installed a driver on my Laptop , i couldnt turn it on. SO WHAT DO I DO?

Specs
    Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU 4 3.00GHz
    1G of Ram
    Nvidia Geforce 9500GT

2. shoutwity

shoutwity

first of all seeing that those are higher end game in check the requirements. Some times the site might not keep those updated though. hhmmm. All i can say is that most of those games get updated and if the programmers are placing around with a different... um i guess, probably wrong terms. Configuration, the computer may not take it kindly and well. Shut down. try starting a game and (alt) (tab) out of it. Look to see if fire wall has poped up. Some times window pops up and is a &^%$#$ about the multi player aspect. Scratch that it useing internet in anyway.

3. morroblivion

OK so what your saying is i update the games? What about on Drift City, its multi but crashes there too. I checked Can You Run IT? and it says My computer can play Warcraft 3,Overlord and Morrowind. What's weird is that there are no warning signs about what happened when i turn it on again. No BSOD, the screen just LOOKS like it went to standby. I see same problems with others but whats different is that mine doesnt turn on/off on its own and there are no warnings,errors atc. It seems as though NOTHING HAPPENED. Like turning on a computer normally. That's what puzzles me, i cant find the answeres because my situation is different form others........ Now what do I do?

4. 0v3chk4

0v3chk4

There are several reason for your problem.

1st:
    Your running a GF 9500 which sort of a beta to a better model which means that it probably has a few issues, Begin by telling me what cooling does your GF use ? Fan or Passive ? Computer might shutdown due to the fact that the VGA reaches critical C and the computer shuts down to keep it from burning...Pen 4 is also sometimes reffered to as an oven because of its heating issues due to faulty voltage....

2nd:
    How much memory does the GF have ? the computer might be crashing due to the fact that the virtual memory level gets so low that it can no longer maintain the workings of needed system process's and that might cause it to crash.

3ed:
    What kind of power supply does your computer have ? the computer might crash because its under volted but you said the sound loops so that is probably not the cause yet worth checking.

Please give more details regarding your system such as OS,Motherboard, Who manufactures your GF RAM etc...

To check heat level and system specs use a software called Everest by Lavalyst, it can give you a nice txt with all your system specs.

Best of luck
    Dima

5. morroblivion

Ok Dima, ill do those after mass.

1st) Im not sure, how do I check it?
    2nd) GF 9500GT has 1 Gig
    3rd) Not sure either, how do I check it.

OS) Windows XP SP2
    Motherboard) ASUS P5KPL-AM-APU
    Also, my uncle told us to pick between 2 VC, my parents picked what my uncle called "light duty". I thought it was weak but it turned to be GF9500GT

6. 0v3chk4

0v3chk4

To check what cooling does your vga use you should open the side panel of your pc and look, if its a fan its a fan, also check if its spinning, if its not that might cause the vga to overheat, if its not a fan but a metal thingy then its passive.

1 gig should be enough so that rules out the low virtual memory isssue thought haveing 1 gig of physical ram(your DDR sticks) to play high end games is a stretch due to the fact it getss overflown with data and might cause the crash.

to check the power supply also open the pannel and just read the name, model and W!

Please download everest and run your game in a window while running everest to see your heat levels and post them here withthe detailed specs of your pc and heat levels while play and while the computer is just being used for browsing etc.

7. morroblivion

I can't open it yet, but i used Everest for computer summary here's what it said.
    Computer
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
    DIrect X 4.09.00.0904(DirectX 9.0c)
    ( Ill skip Computer name/User Name)

Motherboard
    CPU Type Intel Pentium 4 531, 3000 MHz (15 x 200)
    Motherboard name Unknown
    Motherboard Chipset Unknown
    System Memory 1024 MB
    BIOS Type AMI(02/04/10)
    Communication Port Communications Port(COM1)
    Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display
    Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT (1024 MB)
    Monitor Plug and PLay MOnitor [NoDB] (HMAS702711)
    (Ill skip Storage)

Partitions
    C:(NTFS) 39997 MB(10694 MB Free)
    D:(NTFS) 36310 MB(23792 MB Free)
    Total Size 74.5 (33.7 GB Free)

Now Temp
    WHEN USING INTERNET (right now)
    Motherboard 46 Degrees Celsius (115 Degrees Fahrenheit)
    WDC WD800BB-00JHC0 41 Degrees Celsius (106 Degrees Fahrenheit)

Cooling Fan
    CPU 2220 RPM

WHEN PLAYING MORROWIND.
    Motherboard 48 Degrees elsius THERE WAS NO DIFF IN TEMP, IT INCREASES OVERTIME
    CPU 43 Degrees Celsius

COOLING FAN
    CPU 4018 RPM

8. shoutwity

shoutwity

make sure its not the fire walll. Alt tab during the begining of one of the crashing games and see. It may block obhect needed for the game to run correctly.

9. shoutwity

shoutwity

and most likely 1 gb of ram is not enough. for those games

10. morroblivion

Im pretty sure it's not RAM, and they are not blocked.

11. morroblivion

I noticed something, When i play it in low detail, it doesnt crash!. I really want to play it on high so do you guys have any solution to that?

12. 0v3chk4

0v3chk4

morroblivion, unfortunately the fact that it doesnt crash on low settings probably means its the ram, thought you didnt include vga temperature in your report which is the most important part.

13. morroblivion

OK maybe overlord needs a bit of a high RAM but what about Warcaft3,NFSMW? They crash.
    Also there's this SCSI/RAID Host Controller Setup that pops up every time i open my computer, should i install it?
    Also, Should I update my VC to latest update?

14. shoutwity

shoutwity

probably it would be good to update it if it doesnt met the requirements. Nvidia Geforce 9500GT is also more of an low end graphics card. 9800GT would probably be better if you have the enough power. But dont go out buying a new video card with out upgrading ram. If 1 gb of ram is at the minimal requirement like most higher end games have, you need to realise it will most like work that way. minimal. Better system. faster gaming. (usually)

15. morroblivion

Um, im okay with 9500 GT and these are old games without high reqs. I uninstalled overlord and Warcraft 3, NFSMW still crashes.I just want a solution. Also i opened my comp and saw that my VC had some brownish areas Burnt probably? Can i fix a Burnt Video Card>

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/964989

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice