1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer crashes when playing certain games.

Discussion in 'Games' started by sik105, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sik105

sik105 Thread Starter

OK so my computer just crashes the whole computer, the screen turns into a garbled mess, sound keeps looping when i'm playing some certain games like TES 3 and 4, Crysis and some others. So i recently bought a new video card that is so big it barely fits in my case, wants 450 watts of power (i have 650W) so maybe it sucks it all away, it has a huge fan so overheating should not be.

Before i bought this video card i did not have this problem.Is there any fix other than putting back my old video cards?

DirectX 10
    Vista Ultimate

hardware

video card 8800GTX
    CPU Intel core 2quad CPU Q9400 @2.66GHz
    3326 MB RAM
    650 Watts of power

2. Refund

Refund

First, do the games work with your old video card? If they do then their is something with the new card. My games used to freeze and crash because of overheating, try cleaning EVERYTHING, some things you might need to briefly take apart to get all the fans free of dust. Also have you installed the correct drivers for everything?

3. sik105

sik105 Thread Starter

Yes, they worked, but my old video card was 128mb, my new one is 768mb, so i really don't want to put back my old one.

This (768mb) video card was also in my old computer that was a lot weaker than my current, it did not work there either. (crashes!)

So i recently got a new computer ( specs in first post). Won't work here too. Crashes with demanding games.

I have correct drivers and everything. Insides are clean. So my guess is that because this card is HUGE, i mean i had to rip out a hard disk slot to fit it in, so it blocks cooling or i have too little power. The video card wants 450 watts and i have 650 watts.

4. gaftop1

gaftop1

if it doesn't work in any of your computers. should tell you something.
    send it back

5. sup2a

sup2a

watts mean nothing, if you have a rubbish power supply there wont be enough Amps on the 12V rail, check your power supply, and reply with how many "A"s are on the "12V" rail. I dont know how much the card takes up but its a massive card, i bet someone here would know, google it quickly and you may just find what your looking for. There a very slight possibility that the card is getting some sort of interference being so close to other parts and the case, how close it it to touching something? also download Speedfan and check the temps, under stress just in case.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756238

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice