1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Computer crashes when watching 1080p YouTube videos

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by SirTSB, May 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SirTSB

SirTSB Thread Starter

Hello again, my pc used to play YouTube videos in 1080p resolution without any problems (albeit a bit choppy) but recently it started crashing after approximately 45 min of 1080p reproduction.

It only crashes when the videos play in 1080p, it is ok in 760p and in normal use.

My pc has 3.00 GB of RAM and I downloaded Speccy and discovered that the Intel Quad Q6600 @ 240 GHz processor is probably overheating at slightly above 60 degrees Celsius, maybe 61 or 62 degrees and no more.

Is there any solution to be able to watch in 1080p resolution?

2. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    I think your processor is too low to handle 1080p resoulution. You need at least an i3 or higher processor.
    I think that you may also need more RAM.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    cpu.JPG

Is your computer using its Intel integrated graphics, or does it have a dedicated graphics card?

If it's a factory-brand computer, advise us what brand name and model name and model number it is.
    If it's a self-built one, advise us what brand name and model number its motherboard is.

Why does your computer have only 3 GB of RAM?
    Is it running a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows 7?

---------------------------------------------------------------

4. lynx1021

lynx1021

Please provide as much detail about your computer as possible.
    Need to know the, Operating system, motherboard , is it a manufactured computer (like dell) or custom build ; ie exact MB, exact CPU, exact GPU, Monitor cable, exact ram, exact pw supply, etc. Do not post 16gig of ram; post the exact brand and mode/part# do that for ALL of your parts It is recommended that you download and run the http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe and include the log produced in your post.
    I have 2-775 socket boards with quad processors and don't have any problem watching 1080P on YouTube. Before I upgraded I had an E8600 and 8GB of memory and didn't have any problem. 60C is not too hot, have you done a speed test to see what your connection speed is? You could use some more ram, 4GB max on 32bit system, recommended at least 8GB on 64bit system.

5. SirTSB

SirTSB Thread Starter

Thank you all for your replies, I will post here the System Info log:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3071 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 SE/7200 GS, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 223 GB (85 GB Free);
    Motherboard: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD, MS-7360
    Antivirus: AVG Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

I know my pc is old but I only use it only for text editing, photo editing, net browsing and the occasional YouTube video watching. It works like a dream and as I wrote it had no problems with 1080p resolution until recently. No new programs, weird downloads or anything out of the ordinary before that :)

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Capture.JPG

Your computer has extremely weak graphics, so that's one reason why you're having video issues with it.

It's also running a questionable extremely outdated copy of the most system-hungry version of Windows 7 there is, so that's one reason why it's crashing.

--------------------------------------------------------------

SirTSB likes this.
  7. SirTSB

SirTSB Thread Starter

True, graphics card was my choice back when I built the pc because gaming was out of the question.

Not really in a mood to reinstall Windows but which is the Win 7 version with the lesser hardware requirements?

8. lynx1021

lynx1021

As your report shows a 32 bit system ,you probably have 4GB of ram with 3.071 GB usable, that is max for 32bit. You would have to do a clean install of a 64bit OS to be able to use more ram. Have you done a speed check on your internet speed? Your video card could be over heating causing the crashes. You really need at least 1GB of memory on your video card to work properly with YouTube. You could pick up a cheap one on EBay. Like a HD 6450 1GB https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Dell-A...250498?hash=item2ce9ee0242:g:YuMAAOSwtQNcCUwo The benchmark rating on it is 221 compared to yours (42).

SirTSB likes this.
  9. lynx1021

lynx1021

SirTSB likes this.
  10. SirTSB

SirTSB Thread Starter

Thanks lynx, apparently things have moved on :)

Internet speed is ok (around 12Mbps) for HD streaming. I will definitely add some new components when I'll find the time to reinstall the OS!

11. GamerBlackAcid

GamerBlackAcid

And the alternate choice can be an nvidia geforce gt 710

12. SirTSB

SirTSB Thread Starter

13. Alpha227

Alpha227

I know this is off-topic, but i used to have something kinda less specced than that.

Core 2 Duo T9400 2.53 Ghz
    4 GB DDR2
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 512 MB
    Windows 7 Home SP1

And it played 1440p just fine, so im a bit confused here.

14. GamerBlackAcid

GamerBlackAcid

Maybe your gpu is all right. SitTSB's GPU may have issues. Oh and my GPU which is an AMD Radeon R7 240 2GB DDR3 is having issues playing 1080p. Wait... are you saying 1440p offline or online? Coz my GPU doesn't struggle playing 4k offline but does struggle play bgg 1080p online.

15. SirTSB

SirTSB Thread Starter

Hi, I can understand that, as I wrote above my computer used to play 1080p YouTube videos a bit choppily but without crashing until the time I posted this thread. So the big question is why the pc could play HD a couple of months ago and not now? Also, I recently bought an action cam with native 4K resolution and I could watch native 4K videos with the VLC Player perfectly fine although they were never longer than 15 minutes. I know my screen is no 4K but the pc could play super heavy files without choppiness and in amazing quality. So I am convinced that something fishy is going on apart from ancient hardware despite using my pc only for work, no gaming, no saucy websites, no movies or any kind of suspicious downloads. I have AVG antivirus installed and I am looking for a free cleaning program NOT a free one that requires paid upgrade in order to clean the mess it detects. If you know a good one please PM me!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1226912

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice