1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Crashes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thedarksun, Sep 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thedarksun

thedarksun Thread Starter

I just bought a new WD raptor 150gb hard drive, and it seams that whenever i put a large load on it my computer crashes and then restarts. Its really starting to piss me off, and also it seams to happen a lot when i am copying things from other HD's like my Raid1 150gb HD's, my ipod, my external drive, and i think a dvd also. It copy's for a little while then about halfway it kills my computer. thanks.

2. Bartender

Bartender

I hate to sound like a broken record but without further details this sounds like
    1) the CPU overheating and shutting itself down; or
    2) an inadequate power supply that's just barely holding its head above water

It seems like about 50% of the problems with PC's just shutting off end up being one or the other of the above...

3. Sherry22160

Sherry22160

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

You added a hard drive...what is your power supply both brand and wattage as well as age?

5. thedarksun

its not the cpu,
    and my power supply is a orange ultra x-connect 500w.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Well the psu is OK and certainly enough power, that really only leaves the drive itself, although it could be a controller issue on a crappy board such as Ecs or Pc Chips too.
    Was it bought from a reputable dealer?

7. thedarksun

well its an intel board (but intel sucks).

8. Nnahrino

Nnahrino

Can i ask if you purchased this drive from Scan? (I apologise if there is a rule against posting particular websites).

I recently purchased the exact same drive, my system kept restarting... after a bit i got a S.M.A.R.T bad message.

Got a replacement and the same happened again. It could be a faulty batch.

As Sherry22160 said, the best thing to do is to run Western Digitals Diagnostic Tool.

9. thedarksun

ya i got it from new egg, and i will run that program hen i get home. thanks for the help so far.

10. thedarksun

ya itried the program it just told me that eveything was fine. I still have the problem but its now just freezing.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/502713

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice