Computer Crashes

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Tsetzufu

Well, my problem is I start up my computer, there are no windows errors, about 15-30 seconds after my computer starts it turns off. I think it has something to do with the power supply, but I want to make sure before I waste 50 dollars.

Check to see that all fans are spinning inside the case including the PSU one.

Also check for dust clogging up the Heat-sink.

Also if you can take the side of the tower and blow a Household fan at full into the tower and run the PC and see what happens.

Tsetzufu

The PC is clean on the inside, all the fans are working, and the fan made no difference.

Not knowing how old the PSU is .....if you can try another one would be the easiest way to eliminate it at this stage.

How old is this PC and have you added anything or had any other problems lately?

Tsetzufu

The PC is about 3-4 years old. I recently formatted and installed Windows XP Home. I installed a few games, and then it began to have trouble.

Edit: The trouble didn't start after I installed the games. It was crashing while installing some, the computer began crashing more and more as the day went bay, in shorter intervals.

Try downloading Speedfan and install it and see what temperatures it says you have before it shuts down.

SpeedFan

Click on the link called SpeedFan 4.34.

What Video Card do you have installed and does it have the latest drivers?

Tsetzufu

I think it has an Nvidia card, not sure what model/type, it has the latest drivers. I can't install anything on the computer, it doesn't even get past booting before it shuts down.

Can you get into Safemode?

How to Start in Safemode

1. Restart your computer.
2. Before the windows logo you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
3. Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
4. Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode.
5. Do whatever tasks you require and when you are done reboot to boot back into normal mode..

Tsetzufu

It's going off before the monitor even flickers on. So I don't think safemode changes anything.

Hit delete like crazy when it powers up, to see if you can acces BIOS. It might be some other key too, depends on your computer.

If you can borrow a PSU from a somewhere just to try would be the best idea.

As it doesn't even post

Tsetzufu

It crashes in BIOS even.

I'm thinking at this point it either has to be the power supply or the motherboard/cpu. I'm hoping it's the power supply.

Definitely try another PSU, so you can be sure it's the problem. What are your comp specs?

Try a PSU first.......could possibly be the Mobo......not very likely the CPU unless it has overheated quite a few times.

Tsetzufu

Well, I don't know my specs, the CPU has overheated probably 3 times in the last year. I think it's the power supply because I've been overclocking for almost two years straight.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online