1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer crashing/Blue screen of death

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SarajitG, Apr 25, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. SarajitG

SarajitG Thread Starter

I have a desktop with a gigabyte motherboard/ Intel Pentium i3 processor 4gb ram 512mb inbuilt graphics card.

I had a Seagate barracuda 1tb HDD which crashed and as it was within the warranty period I got it replaced. I was running windows 10 previously before it crashed and messed up my system. I ran the Seagate HDD diagnosis software and it said that there were bad sectors and it failed the test.

After I got the new HDD I Installed windows 7 because for some reason I was unable to download the windows 10 from the Microsoft website to my pendrive. But now my pc is running slow and was hanging...it just crashed again after showing the blue screen of death... I couldn't get the error message.. when I was installing the new HDD the partition was not displaying and after a million attempts of using command prompt and diskpart I managed to format it and reinstall windows... When I was installing the HDD it threw up tons of error messages ranging from MBR to GPT Or something... I tried so many things but it is still crashing...

Can anyone please help me identify the problem...is it a software problem or hardware?

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Win7 should have been able to partition and format the drive.

Having said that, without knowing the error code it will be hard to diagnose. Disable automatic reboots so that you can view the BSOD error. Also, if you haven't already, you will need to install all of the hardware drivers. Don't trust or rely on Windows to install the correct drivers. Even when it does select the correct driver, it doesn't always use a fully functional driver. So performance could be lower or some features may not be enabled.

3. SarajitG

SarajitG Thread Starter

Error: 0x80070057

but it's showing different error codes at different times... i replaced the old hdd with a new one today and still the problem persists... its not even showing the hdd space and boot time from cd is much longer normal.... ram is working fine... the computer engineer who came to my house could not diagnose the pc...

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Typically, if the error code keeps changing, there is a hardware issue.

Power the computer off, open the case, and disconnect/reconnect all cables and uninstall/reinstall all cards (including the RAM) (ONE ITEM AT A TIME to ensure everything gets put back into it's original location).

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    If error codes keep changing, it indicates a problem with the RAM.
    based on what?

6. SarajitG

SarajitG Thread Starter

well my computer is working now (installed a fresh copy of windows 10).... plus all diagnostic tools are recognizing the ram and cpu performance seems normal in task manager... faulty ram would have made sounds at startup wouldn't it? The machine would have slowed down substantially, wouldn't it?

i was trying to install windows 7 but it kept shutting down and restarting... windows 10 seems to have worked... but i'm still worried... i just cant seem to diagnose the problem

7. SarajitG

SarajitG Thread Starter

just did it....it seems to be running fine as of now....ran memory diagnostic software hdd diagnosis softwares and a bunch of others...no red flags as of now..

8. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

Windows 7 only knows about hardware circa 2009 and older. You would need to have downloaded the drivers from the manufacturers' support page and then install them immediately after Windows 7 for the PC to work correctly. Windows 10 will automatically download and install any drivers it thinks it needs.
    P.S. The most common result of failing ram is intermittent and sporadic blue screens unless it is really, really bad.

9. SarajitG

SarajitG Thread Starter

well so far I have updated all my drivers and my machine seems to be working properly right now. just the cabinet fan has failed all of a sudden... must be because I disconnected all wires and cleaned the entire CPU... dust must have gone inside and jammed it... I will, however, change the ram just to be sure... is there any way for me to diagnose or see if my ram is working 100%... suppose I change the ram and still my computer crashes... what should be my next course of action...

10. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

AS I said, Windows 10 will download and install what it thinks are the correct drivers automatically. If you are still getting either blue screens or spontaneous reboots, memory is a suspect and the easiest way to test it is to get the free download of memtest86 and then run it.
    https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

11. SarajitG

SarajitG Thread Starter

I ran the memory test which comes with windows 10 and during the basic test, it showed no problem but when I ran the advanced test, it crashed again. and I have to format my pc again... I tried a system restore and it showed error code 0x81000204 ... and when I went ahead to reinstall a fresh windows 10 it didn't get installed and crashed again.

12. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

Memtest86 is far superior to M$ builtin memory test; but, if you ever want to try a reinstall, you should choose the adavanced options and delete all of the existing partitions before clicking Next. Windows will create what it needs automatically.
    I think you need to let Memtest run for at least 2-3 hours.

13. lynx1021

lynx1021

My preference is to let Memtest run overnight, I had some bad memory one time that didn't show errors until the next morning. Probably heat sensitive.

14. SarajitG

SarajitG Thread Starter

i ran memtest 3-4 times and it reported no problems.... the above problem persists....computer crashes randomly while starting up or fresh installation of windows...

15. lynx1021

lynx1021

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1226265

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice