1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer crashing caused by video card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mattsonberg, Dec 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mattsonberg

mattsonberg Thread Starter

My PC started crashing recently. I noticed when I booted back up I saw a message about it overheating. I've replaced my CPU cooler and am running CPUID and the temps are looking good.

Before I replaced my CPU cooler though, I suspected that the cause was my video card: Gigabyte WindForce GV-N760OC-4GD rev: 2.1. After running without the video card and working for a full day on my machine without problems I mounted the video card again to see if that was the culprit or not. I booted and got to the desktop screen when it crashed again.

Currently I'm running without the Gigabyte video card. What can I do to further determine the problem and if there's a way to fix it without having to set up a return?

I've been using this card since February with no problems at all.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is certainly possible that the video card is causing the problem however it is also possible that you have a failing pw supply. A real video card takes a LOT more pw than the onboard video.

As a test, download and install asus probe [available on the support page for your mb] Once you have probe installed, run something that will stress the system ie prime95, IBT, or OCCT [all free downloads] Post the following; cpu temp, system temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Post both from a normal load condition and when running a stress test.

Here is a link to the support page for your mb;
    http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4A89GTD_PROUSB3/overview/

3. mattsonberg

Currently I have a 650W Power Supply. The Video card minimum was 500W. I'm sure there are some differences in quality from PS to PS

During Test (Prime95)

cpu temp: 50C
    system temp: 35C
    12V: 12.07
    5V: 5.02
    3.3V: 3.34
    Vcore: 1.21

Normal:

cpu temp: 43C
    system temp: 34C
    12V: 12.12
    5V: 5.02
    3.3V: 3.34
    Vcore: 1.22

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Those temps and voltages are fine. Most likely you are correct that the card is causing your issue.

5. mattsonberg

Ok. New wrinkle! Just woke up this morning and the PC was shut down and would not restart. Replacing the PS now. I'll report back soon.

6. mattsonberg

OK, I ended up NOT replacing the PS. I switched my power cord from the battery backup outlet to a regular surge outlet. From there I was able to reboot. I found a couple of errors in the Windows System event log:

The shadow copies of volume C: were deleted because the shadow copy storage could not grow in time. Consider reducing the IO load on the system or choose a shadow copy storage volume that is not being shadow copied.

and

Custom dynamic link libraries are being loaded for every application. The system administrator should review the list of libraries to ensure they are related to trusted applications.

From there I ran a very long chkdsk and then rebooted. I am back up and running but I still don't know what is causing the periodic shutdowns or how to isolate.

I do not have the aforementioned video card installed. Just the onboard.

7. mattsonberg

I still need help with this if anyone can assist.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1138613

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice