1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Computer Crashing (DPC Watchdogs Violation), buzzing audio

Discussion in 'Games' started by lacrzach, Dec 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lacrzach

lacrzach Thread Starter

Good evening.

I am writing you all tonight because I have become incredibly frustrated with my newly built gaming rig. I have had my computer built for maybe two or three weeks, and have been getting the Blue Screen Error 133 (DPC Watchdog Violation) and LiveKernelEvent code 141 as my most common crashes/errors. I typically get an error while gaming, and have froze / crashed in the following games: Counter Strike: Global Offensive, League of Legends, and Dark Souls 3. I have also crashed (Blue Screen crash) while watching a YouTube video, and shortly after launching Overwatch for the first time.

Another weird thing to note: While playing Dark Souls 3, I have this weird light flashing glitch. Here is a link to the video I recorded earlier today (best seen between 1:05 - 1:25 in the video):

Besides blue screening and that weird light glitch, I also occasionally get a freeze where a horribly buzzing noise fills my headphones. This either leads to a blue screen, or my game unfreezes moments later. In addition to this, occasionally my game will freeze for a split second, looping whatever the current audio is (without the horrible buzzing) before continuing as normal.

I would also like to mention that the Blue Screen crashes appear to be happening at random. I can play for hours, and then I'll get a Blue Screen, or I could play for a couple minutes and it could happen. Sometimes the Blue Screen is paired with the buzzing audio, sometimes my game just freezes and is dead quiet, and then crashes.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 94 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 16336 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 232 GB (153 GB Free); H: 1862 GB (1564 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., Z170-HD3-CF
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

If it matters, here is my headset and mic that are plugged in:
    Audio-Technica ATH-M30x Headphones
    Blue Microphones Snowball Black ICE Condenser Microphone

What I have tried so far:
    1) BIOS Update - I have the latest BIOS for my motherboard.
    2) Disabling all other audio drivers (that may have been conflicting with my own).
    3) Deleting and reinstalling my graphics card drivers.
    4) Updating all my drivers (all drivers are up to date, according to Driver Booster 4).
    5) Switching the minimum processor state (in the Processor power management area of the Power Options) to 99% and to 100%.
    6) Lowering all graphics in game.
    7) Making sure "Change size of text, apps, and other items" is equal to 100%.
    8) Setting my monitor to 60Hz instead of 144Hz (does not seem to help either way).
    9) My computer is cool, and my temps appear to be normal while I am in game.
    10) Setting BIOS to load defaults (or something along those lines).
    11) Downloading my graphics driver from the EVGA site & GeForce Experience.

Here is a OneDrive link to my last blue screen minidump file: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvkZGIS0pM9vbaJkttCVHsmC7SU

I thought it would be worth mentioning that I am relatively new to this. Please explain more than you typically would, if you have any ideas as to what is wrong! I greatly appreciate it.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You left out one important piece of information - the brand name and complete model number and wattage of the power supply.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

3. lacrzach

lacrzach Thread Starter

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Your Intel processor and NVIDIA graphic card use a combined total of 241W of power.
    Your NVIDIA graphic card requires a minimum of a 500W power supply.
    When you factor in the power needs of the other hardware and the demands of gaming, your EVGA 500W power supply is being pushed to the max.
    I'm not a hardware/gaming expert, but it's my guess you need a better quality and higher wattage power supply.

--------------------------------------------------------------

lacrzach likes this.
  5. lacrzach

lacrzach Thread Starter

Mmm alright. I'll ask a few others to get their opinions, and if / when I change my power supply, I'll come back to this thread to post my findings. Thank you!

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome, and good luck.

7. lacrzach

lacrzach Thread Starter

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    It's a 650W model and has a 5-year warranty and has a 54 amp output on its 12 volt rail, so it appears to be okay to me.

---------------------------------------------------------------

9. lacrzach

lacrzach Thread Starter

Alright, well, replacing the power supply seems to have no impact on the issue (although it will have been a good investment for the future, so the upgrade was not a bad thing).

My graphics card is being tested in a friends computer now, so I'll soon find out if that's the issue.

10. lacrzach

lacrzach Thread Starter

It turns out I have a bad graphics card. Unlucky, I suppose! I'll be returning it and getting a replacement, will update one last time if this is the fix! Thank you for all of your help!

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm glad to hear you discovered what the main problem was. (y)

12. lacrzach

lacrzach Thread Starter

Alright! I'm back.

Graphics card was replaced, free of charge, and the install went smoothly. My games now run just fine, no problems at all. It turns out it was the graphics card, something was wrong with it.

A telltale sign, something that was noticed when my friend came over, was that my graphics card was making a buzzing/high pitched noise when I tried to run games. If this is happening to anyone reading, you may also have a faulty card like I did.

Thank you for all your help!

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Thanks for the update.

I'm not a gamer or do anything graphic-hungry that requires a graphic card that emit a lot of heat and needs a powered fan(s).
    A graphic card that has only a heat sink unit and no moving parts works fine for me.

---------------------------------------------------------------

lacrzach likes this.
  14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1182932

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice