1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Crashing During Games

Discussion in 'Games' started by chrisb422, Mar 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chrisb422

chrisb422 Thread Starter

My computer has crashed today for the second time in the past couple of days. The first time, I was playing Minecraft and the whole computer froze and a freezing sound played through the speakers. I had to manually shut down the computer by pressing the power button. When I turned the computer back on, it froze at the fist BIOS menu and I had to hold down the boot menu key to even get into Windows. When I finally got Windows on, it froze on the loading screen. Eventually, I turned the computer off for a while and it miraculously worked. Today, I was playing Civ. 4 and the same thing happened. Now, I Don't know what to do. My computer cannot get into Windows because it freezes at the loading screen. The Graphics card's fan is spinning and so is the cpu, but I'm really thinking this is a hardware issue. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

2. Markgg88

Markgg88

Freezing at the bios screen definitely indicates a Hardware issue, I'd test the RAM with memtest

Check Temps in the bios if you can get there without it freezing.

3. jiggajagga

jiggajagga

I have had a problem playing Tiger Woods 08 on-line for months now with PGAX. Crash after crash.
    What finally solved the issue (no problems in over a week now) was to reinstall directx 9.0c which the game was made for even though I have dx11 installed?

Seems to have done the trick. Hope this helps in some way.

Also shutting down AV, run c cleaner and using game booster seems to help also.

4. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

As has been said, freezing at the BIOS would certainly lead me to start looking at a possible hardware problem, RAM would be a good place to start.

Firstly check and double check that all cables and connectors inside and out are securely connected, I would suggest removing each one in turn and reseating it securely.

Before even trying memtest, I would simply remove all your RAM sticks (I would hazard a guess that you have 2) and try each one on its own. So take 1 stick, put it in slot 1 and try and boot, if that doesn't work try stick 1 in slot 2. Test each stick individually in every slot, this should help you identify if you have a faulty RAM stick (if so will probably fail to boot with that stick, regardless of which slot it is in) or possibly a faulty RAM slot on the motherboard (if this is the case it will fail to boot with both either stick in the faulty slot). If this proves inconclusive then I would look at doing memtest, if you do that then be sure to run at least 2 full runs of tests, this may take some time to complete.

May also be worth giving the inside of the case a good blast out with canned air if you haven't done it recently, pay particular attention to heatsinks and fans (CPU and GPU) but be sure to hold the fan still while you clean it.

5. asianguy

asianguy

you should check bios diagnostic tool to check for hardware problem

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/985623

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice