1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Crashing/Freezing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FaTaLMercenery, Nov 9, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. FaTaLMercenery

FaTaLMercenery Thread Starter

I've been having trouble with my pc for around 2 months now, don't know what the issue is, so gonna post it here to see if anyone can give me suggestions.

Specs: CPU: Amd Ryzen 5 3600
    CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x72(front mount, fans push - intake)
    Mobo: MSI X570-A Pro
    GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 64 8GB OC
    RAM: 32GB G.SKILL RGB Trident Z series
    Storage: 2TB Intel 660 M.2 2280 and 2TB Seagate Barracuda
    Case: NZXT H710i(3 fans push through rad for intake, 3 top fans and 1 rear fan for exhaust)
    PSU: ThermalTake ToughPower Grand RGB 750W 80+ Gold
    Windows 10, BIOS, and drivers are all up-to-date

I am now having 2 main issues. One I believe is heat related, the other I have no idea what the cause is.

First issue, when playing games, specifically Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege(or any graphically intensive game), I can play about half a match before my computer randomly shuts off and won't power back on. I have to turn off the switch on the PSU and then turn it back on to power my pc. I took all panels off the case(top, front, both sides) and played 3 full games no problem which tells me its a heat issue.

The second issue has been occurring for a while also but I noticed something I hadn't seen before today. When I exit some games, my computer becomes unresponsive. I can move the mouse and click on different applications I have open, but if I try to close an app, it dissapears from the screen but still shows up on the bar at the bottom of my screen indicating that it is still open. I also can't shut down or restart my computer in any way besides holding the power button. What I noticed earlier is that while I was playing a game, using NZXT Cam's overlay, I saw my CPU usage drop to 0%. I was still able to interact with the game menu which was strange, but closing the game acted like minimizing it just as before and everything was generally unresponsive.

Any help would be appreciated

SysInfo:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Education, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 23 Model 113 Stepping 0
    Processor Count: 12
    RAM: 32718 Mb
    Graphics Card: Radeon RX Vega, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 1907 GB (1398 GB Free); D: 1862 GB (1794 GB Free); F: 0 GB (0 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd., X570-A PRO (MS-7C37)
    Antivirus: Norton Security, Enabled and Updated

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

How please is that Windows 10 Education edition in use on this computer
    The reason I ask is that the Education edition of 10 is provided either free of charge or at minimal cost, through as the name suggests Education establishments, either directly to students or from the Microsoft Academic download centre - using the product key provided by the establishment.

3. FaTaLMercenery

I am a currently enrolled college student, I got it through OnTheHub.

4. Macboatmaster

1. Is the mode on the X72 set silent or performance
    https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/nzxt_kraken_x72_review,8.html

As you say it being OK with case open one must suspect either an airflow problem OR indeed - are you absolutely certain X72 is mounted correctly
    see link above

2. Do you have the same problem if you run CPU at stock

3. Unconnected as it may seem with the second problem I would recommend you uninstall Norton - presuming its use is not attached to some condition of the student registration and use the included windows defender.
    I presume you have the means to reinstall Norton, if its uninstallation proves of no benefit

4. https://support.nzxt.com/hc/en-us/articles/360023239393-CAM-Will-Not-Launch
    I appreciate that is not your exact problem, but BEFORE you proceed to uninstall Norton you may wish to consider whitelisting CAM in Norton

5. That said there are quite a few reports of the CAM software causing problems
    https://support.camwebapp.com/forum.../33918619-cam-loading-causes-windows-restarts

5. FaTaLMercenery

1. The X72 is set to performance and I set the fan curve to be higher than default. It is mounted on the front of the case with three fans pushing air through the radiator and into the case.

2. The CPU is running stock and has never been overclocked

3-5. I was having these issues prior to installing the X72 and CAM software as well as Norton

6. Macboatmaster

I was not of course aware of this
    I do not think it was mentioned in your original post

I am sorry but you need someone more experienced than me in airflow issues and the use of that cooler
    Failing a reply form someone on the site I recommend you raise the issue with NZXT
    A good rig I hope you get it sorted

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I have not seen where you posted actual temps and voltages. I never use msi boards so I am not all that sure of their monitoring software. Most msi boards I have seen have a monitoring program often called command center. Go to the support page for your board and download/install whatever monitoring program is available. Once installed, post the following info; cpu temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Do this twice; once under a normal load and again while running a stress test ie prime95 or OCCT [both free downloads] Let whatever stress program run for at least two min to stabilize temps and voltages.

I agree; dump norton. My motherboard has a free download of norton security. I will not even both using it even when it is free.

Just wondering have you run the following to check for corrupted system files;
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
    sfc /scannow

8. FaTaLMercenery

Sorry it took me a while to respond to this, I uninstalled Norton and ran both programs for stress testing(Still with the front and side glass panel off of my pc). I attached the results, going left to right, of my pc at idle, OCCT stress test, and the Prime95 stress Test. When idling, the CPU fluctuated in temperatures, the highest being 50C, the lowest being 34C, not sure if this is normal. During the stress test, after about two minutes of running, stay fairly close to what they are in the images, fluctuating a degree or two. Also, ignore where it says the fans are at 0, for some reason dragon center isn't detecting them, I can confirm all fans are going.

Note: I have no idea why my CPU frequency is fluctuating 3.9 - 4.1 GHz, I do not have it overclocked and it should have a frequency of 3.6GHz.

Idle.PNG OCCTStressTest.PNG Prime95StressTest.PNG

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The 2xxx and 3xxx processors use something called PBO or precision boost overdrive. This overclocks based on temp. If you note that when the processor is at normal temp, it shows 4.1gig however as it gets hotter, speed goes down attempting to keep from overheating.

I do see one issue; ram voltage. That ram needs 1.35V to run correctly and you show 1.2~1.22V. Set the correct ram voltage in the bios. Save settings and restart. See if you still have the problem.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Open your case and pull one of the ram chips out. It should have spd and voltage data on a label attached to the ram chip. If not, check the package and see if you find it. I just did a search for the ram you listed and it showed 1.35V however go with what is on the label.

11. Macboatmaster

Can you confirm please, after dealing with my colleagues suggestion that the three fans of the X72 are - or at least you think they are intake
    I thought and I MAY well be wrong that the X72 should be mounted so that the label side of the fans is to the outside, as the air EXITS that side
    If I am correct and I will readily accept I may be wrong then I think the problem is airflow and that is why it is OK with case open

which is
    more or less what I asked originally

12. FaTaLMercenery

Well shortly after doing those tests which I posted the results of earlier, I ran more of the tests available on OCCT, I ran the PSU test they have and the CPU reached temps of around 70C from what I saw and it powered off again. I'm looking into the BIOS currently and I also noticed that my RAM is running at 2133MHz instead of 3200MHz and as far as I know, AMD processors really need that higher memory speed. I attached an image of the DRAM BIOS settings. How can I safely adjust these settings, I have never really changed BIOS settings before.

The fans on the front(pushing air through the radiator) have the purple label facing the radiator and into the case. The three fans on top and the one fan in the rear face out of the case. I placed the three on the front and top as how the rear fan came mounted which is exhaust, purple label indicating the air would be flowing in that direction.

BIOS.jpeg

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I never use msi boards so I am not real familiar with the bios settings however it appears you have two choices in how to set ram speed;
    1 Enable xmp. It shows xmp setting of 3200 and timings of 16-18-18-38. This should also set the correct vdimm
    2 Second method. Change dram feq to whatever speed you want and go down and set dram voltage to 1.35V. Save settings and exit

FWIW I am not a fan of xmp. It seems to work ok on the intel side however not so much on the amd side. I always set all parameters manually in the bios then check for stability using prime95.

Again I never use msi boards so be sure and read your manual.

14. Macboatmaster

I do NOT think that is correct - IMHO the fans on the NZXT Kraken x72 should be taking the warm air FROM the radiator OUT of the case NOT blowing it into the case.

I find it a little difficult to follow the next part of your explanation

15. FaTaLMercenery

The three fans on the radiator which is on the front of my case push air through the radiator and into the case. The top and rear fans exhaust air from the case.

I changed the DRAM settings and was stress testing again with the OCCT PSU test so CPU and GPU were at 100% the whole time, the test ran for about 9 minutes before the computer powered off which was much longer than before where it lasted no more than 3 minutes. The temperature reading right before the system shut down was 77.5C for the CPU and a max of 78C on the GPU. Correct me if I am wrong which I most likely am, but the CPU should be fine up to 95C and the GPU good until 85C, correct? Could it still be an overheating issue if the temperatures aren't hitting the max?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235486

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice