1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer crashing frequently (while gaming)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tschep2, Nov 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tschep2

tschep2 Thread Starter

Hello,

first time poster, I had my computer built around a year ago and up until now it has been working fine but now whenever I launch any game, within five minutes the computer promptly crashes. No errors, no blue screen, it just crashes and shuts down. As far as I can tell it doesn't occur when I'm doing anything else on the computer except for gaming. I did some cursory checks on my hardware to make sure there wasn't any dust, fans were spinning correctly, etc. and everything appears to be in order - so I'm not sure what could possibly be the issue. Any insight to the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 12
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 16315 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
    Hard Drives: C: 465 GB (44 GB Free); D: 0 GB (0 GB Free); E: 636 GB (133 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., Z390 GAMING X-CF
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Clipboard.jpg

What's the brand name and model number and wattage of its power supply?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Its 465 GB capacity C: drive is about 91% full, so I don't know if that's part of the issue.

Does it crash and shut down when you're NOT gaming?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Hello and welcome to TSG!!

Gaming typically puts a lot of strain on the system resources. It sounds like something (CPU, most likely) is getting very hot and triggering the thermal shutdown protection. That would power off the PC to prevent self-destruction. I'm not sure if there would be anything in the System logs to indicate this is the case. You could monitor the CPU temps to see if you are running way too hot. The solution may be as simple as removing the CPU heatsink, cleaning the old thermal compound and replacing it with a quality compound. Or, you may need a more substantial heatsink ...

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Here is a link to the support page for your board;
    https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/Z390-GAMING-X-rev-10/support#support-dl-utility
    Download and install system information viewer [note you must install app center prior to installing siv]

Once done, post the following; cpu temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Do this twice; once under a normal load and again while running a stress test. Use prime95 or OCCT for the stress test. Let the test run for at least two min to stabilize temps/voltages.

Next you have not included a very important part. What exact pw supply do you have installed? Do not post "500W" Post the exact brand and model#

5. tschep2

tschep2 Thread Starter

No, it doesn't shut down until I launch a game. I have tested it with many different games and it never lasts more than five minutes.

My PSU is this:
    PowerSpec 650 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX Semi-Modular Power Supply

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The specs show that as a decent pw supply however I have never heard of that brand. You need to post the requested info.
    Post screenshots of system info viewer both normal and while running the stress test.

7. tschep2

tschep2 Thread Starter

Ran the program for about five minutes and this is what I have:

Normal Load
    CPU temp: 40 degrees celsius
    12V: 12.168V
    5V: 5.07V
    3.3V: 3.344V

Stress Test
    CPU temp: 66 degrees celsius
    12V: 11.952V
    5V: 5.07V
    3.3V: 3.344V

PSU is
    PowerSpec 650 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX Semi-Modular Power Supply

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You should post a screenshot of both.
    66C is warm however well within limits. Your 12V is dropping under a load and really should stay constant with a high end pw supply.

I would do the following;
    1 System OFF, open the case and give it a good cleaning with a can of air. Leave the side cover OFF and run a game. See if it still shuts down or gives problems
    2 Test the ram with memtest. Let memtest run for at least 1hr to be sure you do not have errors with your ram
    Here are two pics of my system; normal load and prime95 load. As you can see, the 12V is exactly the same on both screenshots.

Attached Files:

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Off to work so I will be gone for a few days; good luck.

10. tschep2

tschep2 Thread Starter

Ok am back after the few tests. I cleaned out my computer's case a little more thoroughly and ran the tests again, here are the screenshots of those as well as the memory test.

Attached Files:

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1236017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice