1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer crashing when playing videos or games

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by smonks, Mar 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. smonks

smonks Thread Starter

When i play videos through windows media playe 11 or play online games like Vanguard at various times my sound appears to stutter then the screen freezes for a second then i get the blue screen saying an unrecoverable hardware error has happend and my comp reboots. Ive been emailing dell every day for 3 weeks now and they still have no answer for me. if i disable my sound device i can play video and play vanguard with no problem but as soon as i use sound i get the blue screen. My hunch is a compatibility issue with windows vista. Dell has replaced my video card and i still get it and ive downloaded current drivers for my vid card and sound card and used the windows update for any critical and security updates out there. Ive restored my comp to factory settings 5 times as per request of dell tech guys, and ive uninstalled the sound device then reinstalled it.
    But im sites like Youtube i have no problem running there media player.
    My system specs are as follows

dell dimension E520
    intel core duo processors 2.13ghz, 2.13 ghz
    2 gigs of ram
    windows vista 64
    ATI radeon 1300 pro 256 mb video card
    sigmatel high definition audio CODEC

This comp is brand new fresh out of the box and my old system plays video and games just fine with windows XP

2. spdabbs

spdabbs

Go into the BIOS of your PC and check out your CPU temperature - possibly an overheat issue, though I would be more inclined to expect the PC to switch off if this was the case. Can you post the first 0x code that's part of the BSOD and the error message it displays - googling that will help locate the root of the problem. You could also try running the Vista memory checker (Hit Start, Type "mem", click on "Memory Diagnostic Tool") - that will take some time to run, so best to leave running overnight.

3. techy689

techy689

spdabbs, i do not think it is a heating issue, because when he disables volume everything works fine.... which sounds weird to me.

Why would your computer begin to freeze if audio is turned on?

You say dell replaced your video card, did they replace your sound card?

Have you downloaded All (including optional) updates from Windows?

4. smonks

smonks Thread Starter

they havent replaced the sound card yet.

The technician that decided to replace my video card said he thought the video card was pausing while it was waiting for the sound card to do something and either the sound card wasnt doing it or the video card wasnt responding to it.
    Also the stop code you guys need on the blue screen disappears too fast for me to read, how do i make it stay up longer:)
    Also if it is a heat thing is that a common problem to have with a new computer?

5. techy689

techy689

Since this computer is new, and you are already having such major hardware issues I would just ask Dell to replace the system in complete for you.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Do you have a separate soundcard? Creative by chance? I have a Creative Audigy that I found the Vista driver completely inadequate so I forced in the XP driver and it solved my problems.

7. smonks

smonks Thread Starter

I have the sigmatel high definition audio is all i know, im not sure if its seperate or not.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

No that is onboard audio. I agree with S4baz, make them fix it.

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Just one head's up -- most games have a sound configuration property that allows you to choose between hardware rendering and software rendering. Make sure you always choose software, if that is there.

10. smonks

smonks Thread Starter

Ok upon talking to some tech guys for the game i play vanguard they said that my sigmatel audio device isnt guaranteed to work on the game and they have heard of it conflicting with windows media player which was the other issue i was having. So they told me i should probably buy a sound card from creative labs, so i went out and bought the sound blaster X-Fi xtreme music card. they also told me id have to go into my BIOS and disable the sigmatel from there before i can get my sound blaster to work. Im not sure how to get into the bios to change that does anyone have any thoughts on this.

I appreciate the info you guys have given me.:)

11. spdabbs

spdabbs

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/554120

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice