1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Crashing while playing games

Discussion in 'Games' started by ReignSterx, Apr 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ReignSterx

ReignSterx Thread Starter

So what keeps happening is i start playing a game, anywhere from 1-10 minutes after i start playing my sound just stops and seems to repeat 1-2 seconds of the same sound over and over for about a minute, then just go completely silent, and at the same exact moment the sound starts freaking out i get a funny texture across both of my screens. i took some pictures for what my screen looks like.
    Pictures
    and as you can see they show up some times as different colors.
    the only games I play are World of Warcraft, Sratcraft2, and Call of Duty 4, and this problem had happened with all 3 games.
    and one other thing to note, once i restart my computer after this happens, i doesn't seem to happen again till after i turn my computer off regularly, and play again later.

Now a little bit about my computer, I built it about 3 1/2 years ago, never had any problems with it, only upgrade I have ever done is add a new graphics card about 4 months ago(my friend had it laying around and gave it to me). also I use a 32" VIZIO TV for my main monitor and a regular LG monitor as my secondary. Now lastly my specs
    Specs:
    AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core Processor 6400+ 3.21GHz
    4BG of RAM
    GeForce GTX 280

if you need more info just let me know!
    and thanks in advance for any help and info :)

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

A few questions:

1) What is the exact make, model and wattage of the power supply?

2) Have you checked your temperatures? Download and install HWMonitor (its free) and run the program. Take a screenshot of the full HWMonitor screen, then leaving it running in the background run a game for a few minutes (hopefully it won't crash out) then exit the game and screenshot HWMonitor again. Post the two screenshots in a reply here.

3) Are all your drivers and Operating System fully patched and up to date? What operating system are you using and is it 32 or 64 bit?

3. ReignSterx

first of all, thank you for the response Tanis! :)
    now to answer your questions,
    1) here is a Link to the exact PSU I have.

2)Here is a screen shot taken almost immediately after turning my computer on. Screen shot 1
    and here is one taken after playing WoW for about 10ish minutes(one of the few times it didn't crash on me)Screen shot 2

3)Yes all my drivers and OS seem to be up to date, and my OS is Windows 7 32-bit(ment to put this in the original post but forgot :x)

4. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Looking at those screenshots, the +3.3v and the +12v lines in the PSU are a bit low, especially the +12v rail in the 2nd screenshot.

Also your TMPIN2 is showing a pretty high temperature, not sure what sensor that would be though and could be the software misinterpretting the sensor output, although I would expect to see more varied values across them all if the software wasn't reading it correctly.

Do you have access to a known working and good PSU, maybe borrow one from a friend or relative, that you can stick in the PC to give it a test? Low voltages on the +3.3v and +12v rail will cause crashes, instability of the system and other strange behaviours.

For some reason the link to the PSU isn't working, for me anyway, I can't seem to access tigerdirect at all at the moment for some reason.

5. ReignSterx

sadly i don't think i have access to another PSU, there is only one other computer in my house other and mine, and it is an older computer and I don't think it would have enough wattage to support my computer. and i dont think my friend would let me steal his PSU to test this.
    do you think it would be worth it to just buy a new PSU?

i have also been debating if i should build a new computer recently, maybe this is just a sign that i should do it lol :p

and again, thanks so much for your help so far, is there any way give +rep or something on this forum?

6. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    It would be difficult to say for sure if a new PSU would definately solve the issue, but I do believe that your PSU may not be performing up to scratch based on the HWMonitor screenshots.

It might be worth having a look in your BIOS and finding the voltage and temp reading there as they will be far more accurate. The downside of that being you can only really get a reading at idle. If the BIOS idle readings are very similar to your HWMonitor idle readings then I would make the assumption that the load readings are also correct.

If you did buy a new PSU then buy a quality unit from a manufacturer like Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling or OCZ (for example). Buying cheap units is a false economy alot of the time, it really is worth spending a bit of money on quality, after all the entire system relies on that one part for constant and stable power.

7. Froggy69

Froggy69

I am having a similar problem. My desk top shuts down after about 30 minutes of playing video slots on Facebook. New power supply - 700watts, new video card and a new mother board. The problem still exists. I get an error message saying that there is a problem with the web page and windows is shutting down. This also happens when the roommate plays left for dead 4. Help!

8. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Hi Froggy and welcome to TSG. I would suggest creating your own, new thread as it makes keeping track of it easier.

When you do, put as much detail as you can about the problem, what you are doing when it happens, detailed system spec of the PC etc. The more info the better.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1049784

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice