Computer Crashing

K1979

I noticed that sometimes after I log in to my computer after it's been asleep, the computer crashes. This happens a few times per week. When it does crash, it is preceded by about a minute of trying to bring up the windows desktop environment--after I wake up the computer and input a password or PIN to regain access. I haven't added any hardware. I have Malwarebytes (premium) and Windows Defender. (Malwarebytes is not registered in the Windows Security Center.) I taskmanager, I disabled Skype in the startup tab. I did run a scan with Malwarebytes and a full scan with Windows Defender. Do I have a lurking virus? Is there a corrupt file somewhere? (I did run the sfc scan thingy in the c promt interface, but nothing bad was found.) How do I best go about this computer crashing problem?

Perhaps the hard drive is having some bad sectors. When the computer sleeps, it copies the things in RAM to the hard drive. And when it awakens, it brings that stuff back into RAM. If anything is not as it was, the computer won't know the difference and proceed to run it - it will crash.

K1979

Is there a systematic way I can do a trial-an-error procedure to go about solving it? It's a bit tricky since the problem randomly occurs.

K1979

I ran the SeaTools for Windows program as suggested. All the diagnostic processes were tried (i.e., S.M.A.R.T. Check, Short Drive Self Test, Short Generic, and Long Generic), and the hard drive passed all of them successfully. What else could the problem be, and what would be the next step to diagnose/inspect it?

Since the hard disk diags went smoothly, lets check out the RAM. Go download memtest, burn the ISO and boot with it, then let it run overnight - you need several complete passes to ensure that the RAM is allright.

K1979

I ran Memtest86 this evening, but it stopped running during the second pass. On the second pass, it was "pass: 76% + test: 56%" and all the metrics, including the timer froze and never resumed. Perhaps there is a bad RAM stick. I will run it overnight tonight, and hopefully it doesn't freeze again. Feel free to advise until I post my next reply.

If it doesn't even complete pass 1, then some of the ram is definitely bad. The next thing to do is to use only 1 stick at a time and re-test. to see which one is bad.

K1979

I ran it again, and had no problems. It was on it's 15th pass, with zero errors. What would be the next step?

Do you really need the sleep function? That is, if you turn off the computer each night, then you don't really need it. To disable sleep. open a cmd prompt by right click run as admin. Then type in "powerfg /h off"

K1979

I keep the computer on all the time. I do have the sleep setting to kick in if not in use for 15 minutes. Perhaps I should make it a few hours instead? There haven't been any crashes as of late while using the computer.

A few weeks ago, I was unable to even boot into the desktop environment; I went through all the advanced repair options: auto repair, tried prior restore points, etc.; I had to eventually re-install Windows 10, which worked. I did have crashes while surfing the internet. I've had none lately. As a side issue, my firefox font size for the bookmarks, address bar, and tabs. at the top, have been set back to default size. I tried the about:config --> pix --> layout.css.devPixelsPerPx, but it does not work. I wonder if this shed light on the crashing.

K1979

Actually, my computer just crashed a few minutes ago and had nothing to do with sleep mode. I had been using it for over an hour. I had about 4 tabs open in Firefox and then came the crash, followed by the "blue screen of death". I was running a Malwarebytes threat scan at the same time, and the computer apparently didn't like that. In the past, I do not remember if web surfing in tandem with Malwarebyte scanning triggered it. The motherboard is old (I think 2011), which might be the problem here. Sorry to bug you again. Does this provide better clues as to finding a solution, or is it a multi-faceted, complex crap shoot process?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online