1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer crashing.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by gblovegrove, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gblovegrove

gblovegrove Thread Starter

I am using windows Vista with SP 2 and occasionally have either blue screen crashes, or just computer freezing
    However with a particular program the crashes have become frequent. I am using a USB GPS to track our position on our narrowboat together with the program Navvygator which comes from www.waterexplorer.co.uk. No error messages come up.
    Can anyone help please

2. Rache

Rache Banned

Check in Device manager for any driver problems.

If that's okay run a sfc:

Here's how to use the System File Checker:
    Click the Windows button>> All Programs>> Accessories.
    Right click the Command Prompt option and then select "Run as administrator" from the resulting menu.
    With the Command Prompt window showing, type in: sfc /scannow [Enter]
    You will now receive a message that states the scan will now begin. If SFC should find any rogue files that need to be replaced, you may be asked to insert your Windows CD. If the SFC scans without finding any problems, you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".
    Close the command prompt window.

3. gblovegrove

Many thanks for response. I checked Device manager and nothing showed up with any queries alongside any of the devices.

I did ths SFC thing and it said it had found corrupt files and could not repair them. It said the files were to be found at C:\windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log but when I tried to check I could get as far as CBS and then it said `Access is denied` so have still drawn a blank

4. Rache

Rache Banned

5. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Can you post a few of your latest minidump files? They are located in C:\WINDOWS\Minidump. ZIP them and attach them to your next post.

Windows Vista

Right-click the minidump file, select Send To, then select Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Windows Vista will compress (zip) the file and save the new zipped file in the same place as the original file.

If you don't have permission to do it from the Minidump folder, right-click on a minidump file and select Send To > Desktop (create shortcut).

From the desktop, try zipping the file again.

If still no luck, disable the UAC.

6. gblovegrove

i HAVE DOWNLOADED THE PROGRAM YOU SENT THE LINK FOR (COST ME £33!) AND IT HAS SCANNED MY COMPUTER ANS SAID IT HAS REPAIRED LOTS OF REGISTRY ENTRIES ALL EXCEPT ONE WHICH IT WONT REPAIR. wILL SEE IF THIS MAKES ANY DIFFERENCE....THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

7. Megabite

Megabite

What cost you £33 ?????

8. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

What program????????????

Don't tell me you ran the following?

[​IMG]

You had to read just a teeny bit lower on the page for instructions provided by Rache for the Repair Tutorial.

Never use that kind of crapware! Read what WOT has to say about that program and its website... You've been ripped off!

They can't even write RECOMMENDED right! [​IMG]

9. gblovegrove

ok EXPENSIVE LESSON LEARNT!!

rEADING rACHES INSTRUCTIONS i GATHER i HAVE TO BOOT UP FROM MY WINDOWS VISTA dvd tHE ONE i HAVE IS CALLED A REINSTALLATION dvd IS THIS THE ONE?

i DON'T WANT TO END UP DOING A REINSTALLATION OF WINDOWS BECAUSE THAT WILL ENTAIL ME DOING A LOAD OF UPDATES AND i AM PRESENTLY LIVING ON A NARROWBOAT AND USING A MOBILE BROADBAND CONNECTION.

10. gblovegrove

further to my last reply I have now checked my device manager again and have two exclamation marks showing
    1. COMM 9 under ports, but as far as I know I have nothing connected that is not working.
    2. Under Network Adaptors Microsoft 6to 4 Adaptor #12.
    How do I get rid of these exclamation marks please

11. gblovegrove

Further to my last reply again, I now cannot get on the Internet at all
    my 3 USB dongle either doesn't register or comes up as working ok but when I click connect the message is. " failed to create RasEntry"
    I now only have my phone to send these messages
    Help........

12. gblovegrove

Can't do that as I now have no Internet connection on the computer
    see my other posts

13. Rache

Rache Banned

You don't have to pay for progs as good ones are free.

Run sfc check again as the crap program may have messed up your registry.

If this doesn't fix it run the repair. As you boot up put in your reinstallation disc and it should boot from that, then follow the instructions to repair. You will have to update but at least you'll have a working pc.

14. gblovegrove

Thanks very much for the reply. Have now managed to reinstall windows, or rather restore my computer back to factory settings. I am now attempting to reload and update all my programs. Whether or not this will have solved my initial crashing problem with Navvygator I shall have to wait and see until we are on the move again on Monday.

Once again many thanks.;)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921249

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice