1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Crisis

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Hiltz, Sep 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hiltz

Hiltz Thread Starter

Hi everyone, Im new to the forum and this is my question.

I bought a custom computer from Newegg.com here r the specs:

Silver chasis by kingtech - room for one morew hard drive and has 3 fans with space for 2 more

sound blaster live! 5.1 w/ 4 creative lab speakers and subwoofer

logitech elite keyboard
    1.44 MB sony floppy drive
    samsung syncmaster753 df flat screen crt 17" monitor
    hp printer/scanner/copier - world's smallest
    samsung 16x cdrom/dvd drive
    used to have a asus geforce 4 v9280 ti4200 8x now ati radeon 9600

cpu pentium 4 2.4 ghz
    512 ddr ram by crucial
    western digital 80 GB hardrive 7200 rpm

I've had my new custom computer built by compu usa and it has worked for more than a month until one day. I went to turn on my computer and it went on, then i pushed the power button on my monitor and the LED light on the monitor started to blink green and the picture on the monitor was black.

I called up Asus, Samsung and they basically said i needed to replace my new graphics card with another one, so i mailed it to Asus get a new replacement when I learned that the post office some how lost it./stole it. So I bought a ati radeon vga 9600 and installled it on my computer. My computer worked for one day with the new radeon video card. The next day I went to turn on my computer and monitor, the computer turned on but the monitor showed no picture and the led light on the monitor was flashing green. Does anyone know what may be causing this? I was told by samsung that it may be due to a refresh rate, I due know for a fact that my monitor works just fine and my ati radeon does work too.

ps - I used another computer and hooked it up to my monitor, it worked, then i tried using another graphic card on my pc and turned on m computerit didnt solve the problem, when I turned on my computer using another moniter, the monitor's LED light turned an orange - amber color and didn't work. So now i am thinking that it may be something with my motherboard, anyone have any ideas? - much appreciated. - thanks in advance for your help

2. Mr_Webmaster

Mr_Webmaster

Both the blinking green light and amber lights mean that there's no signal going to the monitor. Do your fans turn on?

3. Hiltz

Hiltz Thread Starter

Yes, all my fans turn on and the computer's led light is solid green. I used my computer with 2 different monitors. Both of their LED lights turned an amber color and the screen remained black. I used my monitor, which detects a connection with my computer but no picture shows up. With the 2 other monitor's, my sister and brother's monitors, they don't detect a connection with my computer, so something is wrong.

When I use my monitor with my computer, the monitor's LED light starts to blink green constantly. I know my monitor works because I hooked it up to my dad's old gateway pentium 3 and the monitor's LEd light was solid green and the windows XP operating system started. So either something is wrong my motherboard, god knows what, or maybe it is something else.

The problem is that this whole monitor led light blinking green happened even when I had my geforce 4 card about 3 weeks ago. So it is probably the computer that is acting up for some reason. 3 days ago from today, I went to Best Buy and bought an ATI Radeon 9600 128 MB video/graphics card because my geforce ti4200 v9280 128 MB video card was lost in the mail. I Installed the radeon into my computer and I turned on my computer and monitor, they both worked, the led light stopped blinking green and went to a solid green and the operating system started.

So my computer worked fine with the new graphics card for one day. The last thing i did on the computer was exit out of a game of Counter - Strike and shut down my computer. The next day I went to turn on my computer, it started up but the monitor's LED light was flashing green with no picture on the screen. If I try to send my custom parts back to their manufacturer's it would most likely cost me well over $3o0, which i can't afford since I need to get insurance for all the parts and then pay for the shipping cost, plus there is always a chance that one of the components could be lost . - any help is greatly appriciated - thanks

4. mcse72

mcse72

First I would try reseating the video card. Remove the card for a minute or 2, reset it and try starting it up again. Also, does your PC have on-board video? Which is basically a video port integrated into the motherboard. If so does that work?

5. milomorai

milomorai

sounds like the agp slot on the mobo is overheating and cutting out. have you tried an old pci graphics card? had you ever disabled the on-board video if it has any? if it is the agp slot you will be better off to replace the mobo.

6. Hiltz

Hiltz Thread Starter

Actually, that is the first thing I did. I turned off my computer, took out the power plug and the video cable, then I opened my computer and took out the video card for about a minute, checked for dust and put it back into the VGA slot on the motherboard and made sure that the card was all the way in.

I looked at my motherboard's manual, my mother board is an Asus Intel 845 P4Pe. the only onboard features the motherboard has that the manual says are an Onboard LAN soltion (on LaN modes only) all it does is support high performance network applications.

My motherboard has an AGP LED red light that if it turns on, it detects whether or not the video card is inserted properly, it is off so that means the video card is inserted properly.

It also has a Blue Magic PCI slot which is an onboard support for future Asus fucntion cards that are also compliant to PCI specification. Other than these 2 features, they are the only ones that speak of the term "onboard". I didn't see anything about an onboard video, unless your speaking of the AGP slot.

7. Hiltz

Hiltz Thread Starter

What is a "mobo" ? I'm not familar with that word. My computer only works with AGP video cards that go into the slot on my motherboard.

The only thing i did when my radeon was working for that one dat was, I went to my Bios and disabled the secondary Radeon 9600 that it listed because the first one was selected, the secondary wasn't in use,other than that I never modified anything.

I did use another video card from another computer. I took out an AGP ATI Radeon 64 MB graphics card from my dad's old gateway pentium 3, his radeon was less than 3 months old, it is new. I took out my 9600 radeon from my computer and put the other radeon graphics card into my agp slot. it didn't work, the computer turned on, the fans turned on, bu the monitor still showed a black screen and the LEd light on the monitor was still blinking green.

Right now, my ATI radeon 9600 128 M graphics card is installed.

8. Hiltz

Hiltz Thread Starter

When you said " Sounds like the AGP slot on the mobo is overheating and cutting out" is there a way to correct this problem? I've put too much money into this computer well over, $1,200, I can't afford to pay for another expensive part lol.

9. mcse72

mcse72

I checked the specs of your motherboard and it doesnt have on-board video. I wasn't refering to the AGP slot, on-board video is a video port that is incorporated into the motherboard itself. By the way "mobo" is short for motherboard. It appears like it might be the AGP slot. Do you see anything at all when booting up? If you hit delete or whatever key you use to get into your BIOS does anything display?

10. Hiltz

Hiltz Thread Starter

I think it is the AGP slot now that you mention it. When I boot up my computer and turn on the monitor, i tried pressing f8 and/or control, the bios setup doesn't appear, the screen is just black, nothing shows up.

When I had my Asus geforce4 ti4200 graphics card, it worked fine with my computer from mid july all the way to the end of august when the monitor's led light started to blink green. When I put the new radeon 9600 video card into the agp slot, the computer turned on and the monitor's led light turned to solid green, but the next day the same thing happened, the monitor's led light began flashing green again. Let's assume that the problem, which it seems to be, is the agp slot, is there a way to clean or fix it? Like taking a small house fan and placing it above the agp slot blowing all the dust and then putting back the video card and starting the computer again? My friend said that he did that with a fan and his computer worked again.

11. mcse72

mcse72

That was going to be my next suggestion was to buy a can of condensed air, they sell it in the computer/electronic center of any major store. Blow some of that in the AGP slot and see if its dust preventing the communication. Its a long shot, but its worth a try. If not, you have no other choice than to buy another motherboard. If you bought it recently, call or email the company and see if they'll replace it because its defective or give you credit on your next purchase.

12. Hiltz

Hiltz Thread Starter

msce72 Thanks so much for your help. I think i have a can of condensed air somewhere in the garage, I'll use that. My motherboard has a 3 year warrenty, I tried contacting Asus by phone but for some reason they don't pick up. I think I'll get a replacement from them. as soon as I can contact them Thanks again for all your help and to all of the others who had the time to answer my question , u guys r great.

13. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Also consider that you can't always get away with changing graphics cards where they have different drivers.

Your original card was a Ti 4200, which would have the appropriate nVidia drivers loaded.

When you replaced it with a 9600, did you first delete the card under device manager (this forces a reload of default VGA drivers at next power on)?

If not, you have put in the 9600 and forced it to use the Ti 4200 drivers, which would be confusing to it to say the least.

While its quite possible a hardware fault may exist, its also likely that drivers may cloud the issue.

Unless the card holds critical settings in its own on-board BIOS, I would have expected that some startup screen would have been visible.

14. Hiltz

Hiltz Thread Starter

When I installed the Radeon 9600 video card, it worked fine for one day but I was unable to locate and disable/delete the geforce ti4200 video card's drivers that should still be installed in my computer. I went to control panel and went to add/remove and I could not find the graphic cards drivers. I looked in the program files too but I couldn't find any of the old 128 MB geforce 4 ti4200's files on there. The Ati radeon was successfully installed along with it's drivers.

But I went to device manager. It had 2 devices listed under it. the one that was currently being used was the radeon 9600 and the secondary one was also listed as radeon 9600, but I did go to Bios setup and disabled the secondary one since it was not in use. It didn't show a geforce ti4200 graphics card since I had taken it out 2 1/2 weeks after I bought the new video card, but was unable to find and derminate any of the geforce's drivers that were installed with the cd it came with. I tried using the cd but nothing happend when the cd was in, so I took it out.

But when Iinstalled the radeon and wen't to play counter - strike a windows box did appear on the desktop that said " It has detected 2 graphics cards" but when I continued to play counter strike, and I played for about an hour then I exited the game but instead of it automatically going back to the desktop, the screen went black and a small white/grey period this --> . appeared. After that my computer couldn't exit by using control alt delete , so that so Ihad no other choice but to shutdown and restart my computer.

So Kiwiguy, if what you say has happened to my computer with the radeon being confused by the geforce's drivers, is there a way to change and fix it so my computer will work again? the problem is that I can't get to the Bios setup since the monitor's screen remains black even if I press f8 or control rapidly or just holding it down.

My motherboard is an Asus intel P4Pe. In my radeon manuel book it says " Install AGP Drivers for non-intel Chipset based motherboards" then it says "This driver is required b your new ATI graphics card to function correctly with your motherboard. It is very important that the correct AGP driver be installed before installing an AGP video card in your system. An INCORRECT or missing GART driver can result in AGP memory not being detected or a black screen after Windows loads". So in other words it says im supposed to go to the internet and download the latest AGP drivers from some companies such as VIA technologies and Intel Technologies. But since my motherboard is an intel based chipset I don't have to get the latest drivers, those are only for non - intel based chipset motherboards. But what did catch my attention is that it said under warning : Incorrect or missing Dart driver may rsult in a black screen after windows appears. Though in my case, the black screen appears since windows can't even appear and start.

15. milomorai

milomorai

whenever you switch video cards, boot into safe mode, remove the old cards from the device manager and reboot into windows default vga mode before installing the drivers for the new card especially when switching brands or with nvidia cards.

gavi

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167846

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice