1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer cuts power

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JTC111, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JTC111

JTC111 Thread Starter

About 6 months ago my computer started shutting itself off when I was gaming. It wouldn't happen often, but as time went by the frequency increased. I thought it might be due to overheating of the cpu and got some software to gauge the temperature. The cpu usually ran in the high 50s (centigrade) and sometimes would hit 60-62. That's the hottest I've seen it go. I recently installed a cooling system and now it never gets higher than about 42 degrees; however, I'm still having the shut down issue.

There's no warning when before it happens, and when it does, it's like someone pulled the plug on the computer. It just goes dead. Additionally, the computer won't restart unless I disconnect the AC cord from the back of the computer for about 30 seconds. When I unplug the computer, I can tell when it's okay to reattach the plug by listening for my usb scanner to reset (I've even left it sit overnight and tried to restart it without disconnecting the AC cable, but it won't work. I have to disconnect it). If I reattach the plug before that, the computer won't start.

Any ideas on how to go about diagnosing this problem? I'm guessing some component got damaged because of the heat, but I have no idea how to figure out where the problem is.

Thanks.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium , 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 4 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8190 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series , 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 953868 MB, Free - 763798 MB; I: Total - 953867 MB, Free - 421647 MB;
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., GA-MA770T-UD3P, ,
    Antivirus: None

2. Megabite

Megabite

Could be your PowerSupply failing ...that is where I would start.......you didn't mention how warm the Video card got.

3. JTC111

JTC111 Thread Starter

I'm not sure. I don't have anything that checks the temp on it. Is there something that does it that you can recommend?

4. Megabite

Megabite

Try this

Download and install hwmonitor
    and see what the temps etc are. Download the 1.17 setup, english on the righthand side.
    ....take a reading when not running the game or programs CPU(core) and GPU Video card and post them. (Just a screenshot of results is fine)

Then run the game or any other intensive program for 10min or so and take another reading post the results

5. JTC111

JTC111 Thread Starter

6. Megabite

Megabite

Your Video card gets very warm

7. JTC111

JTC111 Thread Starter

Warm enough for it to shut down the computer? And if so, does that mean it's damaged and should be replaced or do i just need to figure out some way to cool it?

8. Megabite

Megabite

Doesn't usually shut down the PC more like a freeze or black screen.....have you checked for any dust build up lately.

If you PC shuts down the Cpu has got too hot...which the temps looks OK...so I'm still thinking powersupply

9. JTC111

JTC111 Thread Starter

Okay, i'll give that a go first. Thanks much for the help.

10. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

From the symptoms, it is your power supply shutting down. Normally the shutdown and refusal to restart is a reaction to a detected serious output anomaly.

Presuming you don't have an intermittent short in the box (and you could...check that all wires are properly bundled and routed, and look for evidence of mechanical damage to insulation, or possibly a brass standoff where a plastic one was needed, or some such) then most probably the power supply itself is faulting.

You didn't specify a model for the power supply.

edit:

Also, letting that Phenom-II get to 62 degrees put you right on the edge of its allowed specification. Do that a few times, and you'll damage it. Good thing you put in a cooling system.

11. JTC111

JTC111 Thread Starter

Over the past few months, it's happened more than a few times. I knew that the cpu was running on the hot side when I had a game running. I was monitoring it and trying to see if there was some temperature threshold at which the shut downs occurred. It ranged from around the high 50s to low 60s consistently, so heat was a candidate for the cause of the problem, but the fact that I have to physically disconnect the psu cord from the unit before it will restart was making me wonder if some kind of electrical issue wasn't really going on. I wound up buying the Coolit Vantage system. And while it didn't solve the problem, it sure impressed the hell out of me.

I'm thinking about what you said about a short being a possible cause. I tend to think not because the shutdowns only happen when I'm running a graphics intensive game. If I'm wrong correct me, but I think a short in the case would be more inconsistent than that.

Swapping out the psu won't be as much of a headache as finding a short, so I'll go that route first. Is there anything I need to know about shopping for a psu? I've only ever had to buy one in the past and that was when PCs were a helluva a lot simpler than they are now.

12. Megabite

Megabite

Do you know what PSU is in it at the moment?

13. JTC111

JTC111 Thread Starter

I've no idea. It's whatever came stock with this ibuypower pc. 700w according to that link.

14. Megabite

Megabite

Is this PC still under warranty?

15. JTC111

JTC111 Thread Starter

unfortunately, no.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972997

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice